Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Motherlode

Rick, thanks for the explanation and the info, very interesting. I always enjoy reading about tools I haven't seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Griggs View Post
    Bryan,
    Have you tried Wimberly? Not as big as Canton, but was good hunting last I was there (10+ yrs. ago)
    Roy,
    Is that Wimberly, TX just NW of San Marcos? No, I haven't tried there but that's a lot closer than Canton. Plus, the wife loves to go to the outlet malls in San Marcos. I'll drop her off there and I'll head to Wimberly.

Thanks for the tip if it's the same Wimberly.

Motherlode

I'm glad I don't live near there. All my disposable income would be spent on things I don't have and probably don't need.

If you run across that cigar shave again I'd say get it. They raaaaaaarely pop up on any of the auction sites and are handy as hell.

Wait just a second...

Hammacher Shlemmer? The same Hammacher Shlemmer that makes all that useless crap featured in "SkyMall"? I had no idea that they once made useful things that don't "chill your beverage better than ice" or "massage your neck while kneading your buttocks".

H&S gets referenced in Workbenches: From Design and Theory to Construction and Use By Christopher Schwarz

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ihc...kbench&f=false

They were the real deal 100 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Wuest View Post
    Roy,
    Is that Wimberly, TX just NW of San Marcos? No, I haven't tried there but that's a lot closer than Canton. Plus, the wife loves to go to the outlet malls in San Marcos. I'll drop her off there and I'll head to Wimberly.

Thanks for the tip if it's the same Wimberly.

Bryan,
    it is wimberley tx. i found a link to their market days website. they had a list of vendors that sell tools. here it is.
    http://www.shopmarketdays.com/result...earchfor=TOOLS

Rick, the plane with raised area at the toe is a Stanley #72 chamfer plane. It was also available with a beading attachnment (#72 1/2) to mount the same cutters as the #66. I have never had the opportunity to try one but they look awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by brian c miller View Post
    H&S gets referenced in Workbenches: From Design and Theory to Construction and Use By Christopher Schwarz

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ihc...kbench&f=false

They were the real deal 100 years ago.
    Huh. Had no idea. WIll counsel neighbor on disposition, after we clean off the metal parts and look for mfg info.

thanks much

kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.