Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I followed your advice!

I followed your advice!

Recently, I asked everyone about their opinions on lathes. I got a lot of good advice. I passed on what many told me might not be suitable for me. I searched and, low and behold, I found a posibility at an auction that was going to take place today (Saturday). I did some research on what I THOUGHT it might be (auctioneer couldn't tell me a whole lot except that it was a Powermatic and it was green. When I asked about its condition, he said there is some rust, but that is because it has been sitting outside for the last couple of weeks... Yep, it was sitting in the middle of a corn and hay field along with all the other stuff: Dozers, dump trucks, pickups, heavy equipment, wwing machines and other stuff. Yeah, left outside, no wonder it had rust...

Anyway, I really kept my expections to a minimum, knowing that it was outside and who knows what it was like before.

Dan Hintz was kind enough to meet me at my house this morning at 7am so we could make the almost 2 hour trip to the auction. The lathe was one of the last things that was going to be auctioned off, so we ran an errand I had had lunch, then went back to the corn field. There were some pretty nice pieces there besides the lathe. I'll start another thread on those... There was only one other guy bidding against me. Had he not shown, I probably would have had a steal! But instead, I paid a hefty sum. I mean, I had to. How often will a PM 45 come around. I dug deep in my pockets when my nod at $300 was not topped. She's 3 ph (so I'll be looking for a VFD for her), 1 HP, included 12" and 4" tool rests, 6" faceplate, and a reverse thread aluminum faceplate for the outboard, two wrenches, and a mouse nest on top of the motor.

Dan and I gave it a pretty good once, twice, and third time over in the field. A couple of onlookers mentioned that all these machines came from the county's Board of Education auction a month prior. They had sold there, but for some reason, were all back up for auction. Best I can figure, someone bought them, and that someone's wife said "Oh no you didn't!". A couple of people mentioned that all these things ran perfectly at the other auction. When we got it back to my shop, Dan and I took it apart (a bit) and everything seems good. Unfortunately, not only couldn't I test it out in the field, no 3 phase there...go figure, but I can't test it in my shop either...no 3 phase there either.

Thank you to all for your advice and steering me in what I hope to be the right direction. Thank you to others that have offered help with phase conversion and tips. And thank you Dan, a million times over, for going with me. He offered a lot of support, an extra set of eyes, and alternative perspectives that I hadn't thought of. Hey, the extra set of hand moving that monster around didn't hurt either.

I have some sanding, wire brushing, priming, painting, and part ordering to do. But, I think she'll turn out to be pretty darn close to what I want.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I drink, therefore I am.

Looks like the find of a lifetime and not much "fixenup", hopefully. For $300 you should get a lifetime's use out of that badbay! Congratz!

you are going to be SOOOOOOOOO glad you got this instead of that other one

Definite Gloat! and a sweet find, Congrats )

nice gloat, enjoy

Heck, it's worth that just for scrap iron. Should be a good lathe.

Mike,

That looks like a excellent buy. I'm sure with a little TLC it will serve you well.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Wow! Congrats on your new lathe! Should be a lot of fun getting her all cleaned up and ready to turn!

Looking forward to seeing photos of you first curlies off her!

Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks guys. I made a mistake, though. I just looked and it is a PM 90 not a PM 45. Not sure what the difference really is, though...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Thanks guys. I made a mistake, though. I just looked and it is a PM 90 not a PM 45. Not sure what the difference really is, though...
    I thought the pics looked like a 90 but I'm not that familiar to tell for sure. But the 90 is a heavier, more stout version. I'm not sure where I read this, probably OWWM.com but I think the 45 was a school version, the 90 is the lathe that was used in many commercial wood shops.

I just looked that up today. The early 45s were belt-change for speed change. The later ones were variable speed. The 90s were all variable speed. The 45 was 3/4HP, the 90 was 1HP.

You got a great deal on that! The ones I was looking at were 45s and one was missing the banjo (which makes them pretty much worthless) and the seller wanted $600 for the "cheap" one. Congrats on your find!!

GK

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post

Mike, not only did you get a good buy, but you have nearly endless potential with this one. We demand to see pics of the full restore you are going to do on this!!

And, when you get that VFD on her, she will purrrrrrrr!!!

Wow nice score Mike!

Congrats on a great find Mike. With a VFD that thing will purr like a caddy.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

you dun good!

Congratulations Mike! I followed your previous posts concerning an upgrade of your Delta. This is the direction I was hoping you (and anyone wanting a bigger lathe) would go. Those PM 90 are great machines. Curt mentioned OWWM.com . Folks over there can steer you in the right direction for the VFD, etc.. I wouldn't paint it , yet, just clean it up and get it working properly. That is a fine machine. Now start looking for matching vintage PM machines, jointer, TS, Drill Press, disc/belt sander......
    TB