Thread: Going to an auction with a fellow Creeker

Going to an auction with a fellow Creeker

This is kinda a part two thread to a gloat thread that I posted earlier where I picked up a PM 45 for $300 at an auction today (Saturday). Dan Hintz was kind enough to come along for the ride. We had a great time, shared a lot of stories...oh, the stories..., had some great BBQ (off site), and saw some pretty cool machines for for next to nothing.

First, there were two Delta RAS's. The first one, I believe a 16" 5hp 3ph with very smooth tracking that went for $95! Yeah, it needed a new table buuuuuuttttttt.........

The second Delta RAS was a 14" 5hp 3ph that went for $110.

Next was a pair of 14" band saws, one Delta, one Jet. Both went for $35 each. I think that was some sort of drill press between them...don't know if it even sold.

And lastly, there was one of those really scary log cutters for firewood. It was electric and had a sharp but rusted carbide tooth blade on it. It had a reserve price of only $2500.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I drink, therefore I am.

You can see the pics of the lathe I got here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=151248

Oh, and there was a slight mishap while loading a recently won item...The pic isn't all that good, but it is some sort of crane/loader type machine...on its side!

All in all, a great time. Thanks Dan for your company and help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Cruz; 10-31-2010 at 12:06 AM.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Neat pics, Mike. That machine between the two bandsaws looks like a mortising machine with a foot pedal - would be neat if it worked.

That machine in between the bandsaws is a Rockwell Overarm Router, AKA "Pin Router"... I bought one in the early 80's and still have it. I use it once every 2 years maybe. Nice for the price, but there are a lot of better machines out there, especially CNC's... ........... Jerry (in Tucson)
    Last edited by Jerry Marcantel; 10-31-2010 at 1:12 PM. Reason: another senior moment

AW, MAN, why didn't you tell me before? I would have picked it up, too! Just kidding. Really have no use for it.

I just couldn't believe that the RAS's went for about $100. That first one really just needs the table to be replaced. Unfortunately, I'm not into RAS's, otherwise, I would have had another piece in my truck for the drive home.

I thought the price for the log splitter was a bit high, but it really was a monster of a machine. One of the other guys standing around said he has one just like it and loves it. That open blade scared the poop out of me. HA! I asked the guys standing around it if it had SawStop technology...you could hear the crickets chirping...they had NO clue what I was talking about. Did I mention this was VERY rural Maryland?
    I drink, therefore I am.

Mike- do you have any additional information on the auction? I'm not that far from you and it looks like it would be worth the drive. thanks

John, it was yesterday, in Frostburg, MD. I found about it through auctionzip.com. I put in keyword lathe, and a calendar with all the auctions with the word "lathe" in them showed up. If you look at the one from yesterday in Frostburg, you can see the auction listing. But they didn't have pics of all the stuff. The woodworking equipment was considered to small for pics. The pics were from my cell phone while at the auction.
    I drink, therefore I am.

thanks MIke-I'll check it out.

Good luck! I had a blast...
    I drink, therefore I am.