Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felder gloat

Felder gloat

I bought this KF700 used about a month ago....well Friday it finally showed up. It had every option I was looking when I was configuring a new one (except the price!!!!). I think I did really well on the deal, I also
    got a Kay industries phase converter from the seller.

The saw is configured as follows

- 2 x 5hp. 3 phase motors
    - industrial scoring unit
    - 98" slider
    - 31" rip
    - Power drive on the shaper spindle
    - digital height diplay on the shaper tilt and sawblade tilt
    - 51" outrigger
    - short crosscut fence
    - x-roll table extension
    - 30mm, 1 1/4" and high speed router spindles for the shaper
    - mobility kit
    - remote swithes on the slider for the saw and scoring unit
    - overhead blade guard
    - dado capability
    - outrigger cart

Moving the saw around is a piece of cake with the mobility kit. Having the cart for the outrigger was also important to me, my shop is narrow so the outrigger will not be on the saw most of the time.

Hope you enjoy the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Congratulations Jeff.

An exceptional buy.

Congratulations! Great looking saw.

Good for you. The engineering and mfgring technique on the Felder are second to none. I took a class at their Sacramento, Calif showroom. Most of the folks in attendance are so helpful to each other. I'm sure you have heard about the FOG on the Internet.

It's a great place to learn, ask questions and share.

Gary Curtis

Congrats!! That is an awesome looking machine!

Scot

Congrats Jeff. What type of service and gauge wire is required to drive that Kay?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Congrats Jeff. What type of service and gauge wire is required to drive that Kay?

#8's on a 50 amp breaker from my subpanel to the converter and #10's from the converter to the saw. Very easy to wire, the converter has a remote with it so that leaves a lot of options on where to locate it. I'm undecided as of yet where to put it, I'll get some opinions from my electrician and decide from there. BTW its a beast to move, 200lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Curtis View Post
    Good for you. The engineering and mfgring technique on the Felder are second to none. I took a class at their Sacramento, Calif showroom. Most of the folks in attendance are so helpful to each other. I'm sure you have heard about the FOG on the Internet.

It's a great place to learn, ask questions and share.

Gary Curtis

Thanks Gary, I did join the FOG awhile back, I havent posted yet.....luckily for them anyway . I've had such great service from Fergus at Felder, I just cant say enough good about him. I got my a3-31 from him, plus several quotes on a KF700. He told me about the used KF700 and put me in touch with the owner. Thats putting the customer 1st in my book.

Jeff;

That's one great machine. Looks just like the one I have except that mine is single phase with variable speed option. I also bought mine used and it came with identical options, even down to the over blade dust collector which is kind of rare. Glad to hear you have joined the FOG. There is a wealth of information there and all are more than willing to help. Postings are also quite entertaining at times. If I can be of any help, don't hesitate to ask.

Dino Drosas, Myrtle Beach, SC
    The lyf so short The craft so long to lerne

Good Job Jeff,

These are great machines, I've had mine for six years now and can't complain once about it.....

The Kay converter is also a solid piece. Since you have a remote for it I'd put it where its out of the dust and where you can't hear it. It doesn't make much noise but unlike my self mine is not on a remote and I let it run sometimes when I know I'm coming back to one of my 3 phase machines. If the shop is quiet it does whine a bit. Preowned is always nice when you find a gem......

FOG is a great group of guys and gals that are always willing to help out. They have sooo much experience and they talk about woodworking sometimes.

Good luck
    Ben

Congrats on that great buy, Jeff! I love having a slider and wouldn't consider going back to a cabinet saw at this point. Enjoy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks like a great saw, your gona really like the slider. Looks like I have the same converter running my MiniMax. I have the remote and I would never be with out it. If you have the space I would definitely put the converter in another room. I have mine in a small closet about 20 feet from my main shop, I can just barely hear it running when the shop is quiet, but it would be obnoxious if it was in the same room. I also have my dust collector in a separate room and have it on a remote. My shop stays pretty quiet, I only need hearing protection when I have one of my machines on, the phase converter and dust collector don't bother much.
    The Plane Anarchist

Congratulations

I took delivery of my KF700SP in January. Almost the same setup as yours but I chose the 5HP Single Phase Variable speed and I didn't get the overhead guard. I also got the 31" rip verion and I didn't get the overhead guard because I thought it was to extend 52" to the right anyway. Did you shorten it or did it come sized for your 31" rip capacity?

I made air clamps and they are a fantastic addition.

The Felder stuff is very nice!!! The upfront cost can be prohibitive--but if you're in this woodworking racquet for a number of years it will usually be cheaper in the long run (and you'll probably be happier as well!!!).

I have never personnaly seen any need for a slider based on what I do--but it sure would be nice if I had a nieghbor who had one.