Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thank Goodness for SawStop!! ;-)

Thank Goodness for SawStop!! ;-)

I digress, but when you read on, you will understand.

My latest bonifide GLOAT is this very nice 1988 PM66. I was as amazed as anybody that the saw sold on ebay for only $356!! No fence included, but it has a 3hp Baldor single-phase motor. Included was the pricy Biesemeyer anti-kickback splitter. Maybe no fence kept the price down! But, I just happen to have a Bargain Biesemeyer ready to attach. I might even repaint the Biese PM Gold to match!

Sadly, the L6-20 plug was smashed and had to be replaced. (chuckle) The front elevation handwheel wobbles a bit, probably due to forklift abuse. I will have to figure out the best way to judiciously straighten that out without causing any harm to the front trunnion. Other than those few issues, the Powermatic is Plug 'n' Play!

My buddy Mel and I drove 6 hours each way to Omaha to pick up the saw last Friday. This tablesaw and others are being sold because the Millard school district has bought brand new SawStop replacements for their high school shops! Yay! SawStop!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Sweet deal!
    Congrats
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Twenty four man hours, gas, $356 and now we figure out how to fix it. I know I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but I don't get the thrill.

On the other hand, you are happy with the deal, and that's what counts.

So, congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    Twenty four man hours, gas, $356 and now we figure out how to fix it.
    I see a road trip with a good friend, probably some greasy food, and a new saw to play with at an unbelievable price.

I guess I'm a glass is half-full guy.

Great gloat!

If I were pricing out a T&M ticket, I might think about the 24 man hours, but not when I knew the 2 guys had a smile on their face the whole time!

Good for the school and good for you Chip...
    Sweet gloat....

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    Twenty four man hours, gas, $356 and now we figure out how to fix it. I know I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but I don't get the thrill.

On the other hand, you are happy with the deal, and that's what counts.

So, congratulations.
    I once drove 4 hours, in the middle of the night, to find veal so I could make veal Marsala. We ate at 4:00 in the morning. As a former engineer, and engineering manager, it's always important to remind people that not everything in life is an optimization problem.

You suck! Great deal. I paid more than that for mine, had to work on it more that you will but only had to drive 3 hours each way.

Congrats Chip. Sometimes the journey makes the trip worthwhile.

Great gloat.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Depending on the cost of the handwheel, you will probably still be money ahead just replacing it...

Sounds like a really good deal.

On the man hours issue. If it's a road trip with a good friend, it's not really an expense is it?
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Congrats Chip! Sounds like a fun roadtrip. Actually, it sounds like a deer hunt, but you bagged an 8pt PM66!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

12. just a thought...

maybe we should all go around to our school districts and promote the safety of sawstop saws and perhaps they will be gracious enough to give us a good deal on their old saws...Just a thought. great buy and I'm sure the trip was worth it

I love road trips for tools and wood. Congrats on a beauty of a saw with a beauty of a power Baldor motor! Super sweet! It will be well worth fixing her up!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thanks guys! I have always admired these gold PM66's--the last American-made Powermatics. Many PM66s have been used and abused, but this one is just getting it's 2nd Wind!

Our 24 man-hour investment came at a deep discount since we are both retired. Just a nice Fall day very well-spent far as I'm concerned. Life is short and I'm happy! That's what matters.

The elevation handwheel is in good shape. The shaft end is what is bent. All works as it should, but with a wobble. I will leave well enough alone until I decide if removing the shaft to straighten it is worth the all effort. Haste makes waste if I crack some cast iron prying around on it!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I once drove 4 hours, in the middle of the night, to find veal so I could make veal Marsala. We ate at 4:00 in the morning. As a former engineer, and engineering manager, it's always important to remind people that not everything in life is an optimization problem.
    Very wise, John, very wise.

-Brian