Thread: Thermostat ???

Thermostat ???

I have a window style heat pump in the the shop, it has no thermostat. Is there a way to rig one up to shut the power off when the temperature is reached. The unit is 220 volts.

Thanks

If it were mine (it's not!), I would let the fan run, and only control the compressor. This prevents" ponding of air." A low voltage thermostat, transformer and a matching coil voltage contactor could be used to control the compressor. Remember that you only need to "break" one of the leads to the compressor.

I have seen a plug-in controller (controller plugs into the wall; window unit plugs into the controller) that does just what you say, but it was for a window AC unit. Not sure if it works for a heater. Some homebrewers use it to accurately control the inside temp of a refrigerator (for lagering, which needs to be cold but well controlled temps).
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    I have seen a plug-in controller (controller plugs into the wall; window unit plugs into the controller) that does just what you say, but it was for a window AC unit. Not sure if it works for a heater. Some homebrewers use it to accurately control the inside temp of a refrigerator (for lagering, which needs to be cold but well controlled temps).
    This a heat pump type window unit. Was the unit you mention a 110 or 220 unit?

It seems that you could get a contactor to turn the power on and off to the receptical for the heat pump.

The contactor would need to be big enough to supply the heatpump and 24 vac coil. A small 24 vac transformer, with a thermostat would power the coil to the contactor.

We have a Carrier motel style heat pump that our heat and air contractor modified to work off of a wall mounted thermostat. I don't recall exactly what he did but it wasn't a big deal. Personally, I don't like the fan running continuously. Ours controls both the compressor and the fan.

George

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    This a heat pump type window unit. Was the unit you mention a 110 or 220 unit?
    It was for 110. I used it for a normal refrigerator in our basement.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

I have had one of these for about 7 years on a 220 electric heater. Has worked very well and was an easy install for this electrically impaired person
    . http://www.king-electric.com/prodtem...odID=TSTAT_SDP
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    I have had one of these for about 7 years on a 220 electric heater. Has worked very well and was an easy install for this electrically impaired person
    . http://www.king-electric.com/prodtem...odID=TSTAT_SDP
    Wow just what I was looking /hoping for. Thanks for taking the time to respond

Dave

Blog Entries
    My local Lowe's carries line voltage thermostats. That's all you need.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    My local Lowe's carries line voltage thermostats. That's all you need.....
    Closest BORG to me is Home Depot I'll try them first