Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I'm so old....

I'm so old that I remember going to school and having classes like woodshop, metal shop, electrical, electronics, graphic arts, drafting, auto shop and so on because the education system recognized (rightly so) that not everyone was college material and vocational training was an option.

Now all they do is graduate people with 4 year college degrees in fields we don't need people (we have too many lawyers already) and then these people who are saddled with 50-100k in debt don't understand why they can't get a job? Oh and they think that being something like a plumber is below them.

I also remember playing pong on a black and white TV and thinking "It can't get any better than this"

Talking

I'm so old, when I was born, the Dead Sea was only sick!

Lets see. I do remember our first Microwave. I drove a used Pinto for my first car. I remember $0.50 a gallon gas and you had to pay attention that you didn't use Lead Free in the leaded gas car or leaded in a lead free car. I remember ice skating just after Thanksgiving where now it is after New Years before we get enough ice. The cord on the 'land line' was 30' long so you could talk in a different room. Then came the 'cordless' telephone. I remember having to get up off my butt to change the channel on the television and there were only 6 choices, inlcuding PBS. Sitting down on Sunday night to watch 'The Wonderful World of Disney' on ABC. Mutial of Omaha specials on Africa. Christmas decorations not showing up in the stores until the day after Thanksgiving.

Didn't believe I was getting old until recently and threads like this just confirm the knowledge...

another one..

A post below reminded me of 1963, when I was taking Engineering courses at a local college (Cal Poly). Each student in certain classes was assigned a couple hours of time, total, per quarter, to familiarize themselves with a computer. This computer took up a whole room, and was the only one in the whole engineering department.

On a similar note, I have been told that your car has more computing power than any of the moon missions. Imagine what your smart phone compares to.

Rick Potter

PS: Still have my slide rule, even though I cannot remember how to use it.