Thread: Now this is a bit over the edge

Now this is a bit over the edge

Not sure if this thread will be moved but since braille can be done using a laser I'll post anyways.

A regular customer came in today and may need to have some "Handicap No Parking" signs made. The strange thing was he said he needed braille on a couple of them because of local codes.

Now I know why our streets and highways are so dangerous .
    Mike

Helix 75W runnin at 89W, Corel X3, Epilog Summit 25W (alive and kickin), CNC mills, lathes, vinyl cutter, Microflame Generator (flame polisher), and all kind of other stuff to keep things interesting

I think he probably doesn't understand the code. He's probably confusing "ADA" with "Braille". Handicap Parking signs must meet ADA requirements, but there is nothing in the ADA code that says parking lot signs should be braille. I think he's got something confused.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

signs

although I agree with both of you
    why is braille on the drive up bank machine
    just wondering
    ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

Blog Entries
    Just like there's no requirement for Braille on drive-up ATM keypads... but it's cheaper to put it on all of them, so there they are.

EDIT: Hah, Ken... there ya go... we crossed paths.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Mike,

Please find out where he plans on placing these signs, so I can avoid that area (or at least setup a video camera)!
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

6. Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Hertzog View Post
    although I agree with both of you
    why is braille on the drive up bank machine
    just wondering
    ken
    You know that cars have some extra seats that can be used to transport other people to, they aren't only for transporting laserable stuff ;D

There is a lawyer in this area that has a lady go around with her baby and asks businesses to use there non-public restrooms to change her babies diapers or something. When the person agrees to let her use it and if it's not up to ADA requirements the lawyer sues and usually settles out of court for a few grand. Some of the requirements make no sense at all, unfortunately it is only to pad someone's pocket, usually government officials of which most are lawyers .

I'm all for helping and making things easy for people with disabilities but some people are just in it for the money.
    Mike

Helix 75W runnin at 89W, Corel X3, Epilog Summit 25W (alive and kickin), CNC mills, lathes, vinyl cutter, Microflame Generator (flame polisher), and all kind of other stuff to keep things interesting