Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench Dog ProMax RT Top with Jessem Mast-R-Lift and Mast-R-Fence?

Bench Dog ProMax RT Top with Jessem Mast-R-Lift and Mast-R-Fence?

I really like the Jessem router table products but I'd like to go with a cast iron top. Has anyone used the Bench Dog ProMax RT top with the Jessem Mast-R-Lift and Mast-R-Fence? I can see that you can buy the Mast-R-Lift with an 8-1/4" X 11-3/4" plate to match the opening on the ProMax top, but I'm not sure how the Mast-R-Fence would attach. Has anyone tried to combination or some other Jessem/ProMax combination?

I see no reason that it wouldn't, the Jessem mounts to the underside of the top with a rail/channel on each side. So as long as you could drill and tap some holes on the underside of the cast iron table is should work.

The Jessem table is 32" wide and 24" deep, the Bench Dog is the same size, so I see no reason it shouldn't.

In this shot you can see that the rail/channel mounts to the underside of the table. If you would like I can take some better pictures of the mounting of the rail/channel.

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/image/85312069

Thanks for the photos. Since the bottom of the ProMax top is probably not flat, I doubt I could use the Jessem supplied L-bracket to mount the fence to the underside of the table. I looked at the Mast-R-Fence manual on the Jessem site, and it looks like I might be able to forgo using the L-bracket and mount the rail directly to the edge of the ProMax top (which is 1-1/2" thick). I just need to know the measurement from the top of the rail to the top of the bolt slot (see attached picture). Can you measure that distance for me?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gatti View Post
    Thanks for the photos. Since the bottom of the ProMax top is probably not flat, I doubt I could use the Jessem supplied L-bracket to mount the fence to the underside of the table. I looked at the Mast-R-Fence manual on the Jessem site, and it looks like I might be able to forgo using the L-bracket and mount the rail directly to the edge of the ProMax top (which is 1-1/2" thick). I just need to know the measurement from the top of the rail to the top of the bolt slot (see attached picture). Can you measure that distance for me?
    I will measure it when I get home tonight, and shot some better pictures. I wonder if you could just grind the underside of the top flat in the area needed, it is just to hole it there and you adjust it with the screws on the side.

That is one great fence, like a rock, I made a micro adjuster for my fence, you can really tweak it with it. I also have stops on it and that is great for when you want to take small cuts at a time.

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/micro_adjuster

Paul, I have the cast top, if you need any info or pics of the underside, I can snap a couple tonight. That looks to be a great fence if one could attach it to the bottom of the cast top.

BTW, I got my top through Rockler, they had some in the "scratch-n-dent" area for $299.00 with the pro-fence. Mine had no damage and was dead on flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Paul, I have the cast top, if you need any info or pics of the underside, I can snap a couple tonight. That looks to be a great fence if one could attach it to the bottom of the cast top.

BTW, I got my top through Rockler, they had some in the "scratch-n-dent" area for $299.00 with the pro-fence. Mine had no damage and was dead on flat.
    I'd love it if you could take a picture or two of the underside. THANKS!

Here is the info on the Jessem mount for the fence.

From the top to the bottom of the mount is 2 1/4"
    The slot runs down 2 1/8" from the top.

I see no reason why it would not work. You can see how Jessems does it with an angle on the underside of the table and then bolts the rail to it.

FenceBracket.jpg PB024801.jpg

BenchDog

I'm absolutely lovin' the BenchDog cast iron top. You won't regret it!!!!

Here it is from below, the thickness of the actual cast at the sides is 9/32nds.

Thanks a bunch guys... based on the pictures from Bill and Jeff I should be able to bolt the rails directly to the edge of the top with no L-bracket. With only 9/32" thickness, I'll need to use a nut on the end of the bolt instead of tapping the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gatti View Post
    Thanks a bunch guys... based on the pictures from Bill and Jeff I should be able to bolt the rails directly to the edge of the top with no L-bracket. With only 9/32" thickness, I'll need to use a nut on the end of the bolt instead of tapping the hole.
    I agree, no problem.

You will love the fence

The size of the router plate/lift is certainly important to match, but also be sure that the radius of the corners also match... You'll also want to be sure that the thickness is equal to or less than that provided in the cast iron top

FYI, I own the cast iron top, BD fence and the BD lift with my PC 7518 in it. The combination works well for me and I have a somewhat non-standard installation with mine attached to my MiniMax slider. (There's a thread here about that you can search for)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Bill et al,

Bringing this thread back from the dead, I just purchased a cast iron top that already has four holes pre-drilled underneath that match the Jessem (the general international excalibur top) but it only allows the fence to be extended 1.5" past the midway mark. The instructions suggest going 3" past the midway mark but I can't foresee any reason the fence would need to go that far past the bit....ever??? Why do the directions suggest 3" past midpoint for the Jessem Mast-R-Fence?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M Pyle View Post
    Hi Bill et al,

Bringing this thread back from the dead, I just purchased a cast iron top that already has four holes pre-drilled underneath that match the Jessem (the general international excalibur top) but it only allows the fence to be extended 1.5" past the midway mark. The instructions suggest going 3" past the midway mark but I can't foresee any reason the fence would need to go that far past the bit....ever??? Why do the directions suggest 3" past midpoint for the Jessem Mast-R-Fence?
    I am not sure why they put it that far in front of the bit. I have the Jessem 24x32 table and the rails are set 3" in front of the center. The only time I could see moving the fence in front of center that much is if you had a large bit and were making multiple passes.
    The fence would only let you go forward about 3" before it would hit the back of the fence.

Thanks Bill, I appreciate the reply. I'm going to call Jess em to see if they know, otherwise I'll just attach it where the holes are now and if I have to revisit down the line due to some limitation, I'll do it then.

Thanks again