Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need help with a new lathe purchase

At this point, having never turned, I have a hard time justifying a Oneway. This whole turning thing may really suck!

Fortunately, if I like turning and outgrow my new lathe, I wouldn't have a problem with upgrading . It is one of the few perks of being a DINK (double income, no kids).

John, thanks for the advice. My garage is 990 SF… so I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to shift a few things around and make it work with my existing DC. Fortunately, I already have an extra drop in place!

Welcome sir!! That is a great lathe and my eye is on the same one for my FINAL lathe! Anything from Randy Thompson will serve you for generations...not paid, just a happy user and returning customer
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Philip:

I have had my eye on this lathe so I'll be interested in your review after you have had it for a while. Looks like a great choice for the price.

Greg, I don't know if I'd take my advice on a lathe ...

I really appreciate everyone’s advice. With your help and my limited budget, this is what I’ve decided to go with:

1.Lathe purchase = JWL-1642-2EVS, 16" x 42" EVS PRO Wood Lathe, 2HP
    2.Turning tools = Benjamin’s best set
    3.Tormek Accessories =
    ·Tormek Tool Setter
    ·Articulated Gouge Jig
    ·Multi Jig
    ·Torlock Tool Rest

Now I have to rework my shop, expand my duct work, and move some electrical :0( Or… move my jointer and planer in to my wife’s parking spot!

Update:

I had to rearrange my shop and move +/- 700 BF in to the basement. My wife gave me a few dirty-looks… but she’ll get over it (I hope )!

Yesterday, I received my Ben’s Best turning set. As a result, I ran over to Rockler and picked up the Tormek accessories. It only took a few hours to get everything reground and sharpened.

I ended up leaving my jointer and planer in place. As a result, I’ll need to expand the duct work to the cyclone… but it shouldn’t be too bad. In the interim, I’ll just have to live without it.

Today, I’m going to sneak out and pick-up the lathe. It actually came in, on Monday, but I have not had time to go get it. I hope to get it assembled today… but I have to come back to work for a 3:00 meeting. After that, I already have plans with some friends to kill some zombies (Xbox)… so I doubt I’ll be able to get the lathe all done.

Now for the question:
    I know I should check the beds for flatness and look for any obvious damage… but what else should I be checking and what tuning is typically necessary?

One thing to consider while you have those zombie killing buddies over. Assembling the lathe can take a bit and getting the legs under the bed in addition to the headstock on the bed once legs are underneath is a challenging task for 1 guy (unless you've got a little crane). I'm not talking bravado / can be done, I'm 6'3 - 220 and I doubt I could do the jet assembly without aids (lever, crane, lift, etc) and not hurt something. If you have everything laid out and ready to go, your zombie team could knock it out in 5-10min tops.

Sounds like a nice setup. I too have a tormek (and a slow speed grinder too) and felt the tormek didn't earn its keep until I started turning. now, it's WELL worth the price imo.

Enjoy!
    mike

Because of Xbox live, I only have one zombie killing friend coming over; the rest will join online. I’m sure he is going to earn his dinner, no doubt! It is going to snow tomorrow, therefore, I plan on moving everything I can. I have a 500 lb capacity lift table that should come in handy. From there, I’ll get his help with anything remaining.

I agree with the Tormek. I purchased it 4 or 5 years ago and it has never had much use. I picked it because it can sharpen almost everything… and I expected I would eventually get in to turning. After doing my turning tools, I expect it will finally start to get some regular use - Lord, I hope I don't hate turning .

Philip one of the rewards of turning is you can go from start to finish in short order unlike flat work. You will have almost instant gratification. I have the Tormek and love it for sharpening my tools especially with being able to hone them. The tool sharpness for me last longer than off a dry grinder and doesn't take any longer to touch up. You also have access to a club that meets at Rockler and the president is Ron Anige. Great guy and a club is a good place to learn plus ask questions. It will save you lots of frustration that a lot of us self taught turners run into. Have fun.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Okay, as I understand it, I have to have pictures or it didn't happen .

I was able to get everything unloaded and assembled without too much trouble. At the end, my neighbor stopped by and offered to help me with the head stock... which weighs around 100 lbs.

I want to thank everyone for their help and I look forward to learning something new!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice lathe, I have the same one and love it. Is that snow???

Unfortunately, yes. I live in the Denver are and it has been cold this week! This is about as close as my car gets to the stuff