Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to a deeper level of Neander?

Going to a deeper level of Neander?

One of the consequences of moving from Canada to Down Under is that I have to leave my woodworking machines behind because of the difference in electrical voltage and frequency. So I'm saying good bye to my table saw, jointer, thickness planer, router, jigsaw, drill press, sander, etc.

One possibility is to go to a deeper level of neander in the future. (The other is to build up the tool collection again). If so, what kinds of tools should I consider buying to replace the functionality that I'll be loosing. My current collection includes: bench chisels, a workbench, bevel up and bevel down hand planes, dovetail saws, Disston panel saws, spokeshave, and a router plane.

Things I might consider are: mortise chisels, plow plane, carcass/tenon saws, rabbet plane, scrub plane.

Has anyone converted to full being a full neander, and what was the experience like?

Thanks
    Phillip

Tom Fidgen did that, but he just moved from Cape Breton to Toronto. He currently does all of this work by hand. Thus the impetus to write his book: Made by Hand.

No, I'm not Tom in disguise, I just enjoyed the book and was educated as well as inspired.

I'm sure the first question would be "What do you make?" It sounds like you have just about everything you need. With the hand tools, the bench and the router I don't see any handicap.

If you've ever seen videos of guys in the middle east or elsewhere turning spindles on a bow lathe it really puts things in perspective. I could have the newest JET and the primo tools and not do what they do with a hand powered lathe and one skew chisel held between their toes.

That kind of calms my desire to go ape ---- on the tool acquiring. Hand tools are way cooler than machines, and we as men are just big boys...so it can get out of hand with the "oh, I need that...not now technically...but I'm imagining the project where I'm definitely going to need it", or buying the specialty tool instead of making a jig or modifying an existing tool.

Card scrapers and a burnisher (although you can use other things to burnish) are at the top of the list. They're cheap though.
    Last edited by john brenton; 11-02-2010 at 6:55 PM.

I'd say in order of need to complete that tool list you might look at carcass or sash saws (rip and cross) then a scrub (this might be #1 if you're working from split or rough lumber) then a brace and bit set (I hog out most of my mortises with a drill), followed maybe the plow (I love mine, a Record 044) then mortise chisels. You could always build hollow and round planes, rabbet planes etc. living in a place like that it might be better/cheaper/faster to make your own tools than buy some.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Think about the operations you currently use your power tools for. Then think about how you would do that without the power tools. If you don't have a way to perform an operation by hand that you typically do using power, then you need the proper tool to do that task.

Here are a few examples (by no means all inclusive):
    1. Ripping
      • By machine: bandsaw or table saw
      • By hand: long, large toothed rip saw
    2. Cross Cutting
      • By machine: chop saw or radial arm saw
      • By hand: long or panel sized crosscut saw
    3. Cutting Mortises
      • By machine: dedicated mortiser; router & jig; drill press
      • By hand: mortise chisels
    4. Cutting Tenons
      • By machine: table saw w/tenon jig; table saw w/ dado stack
      • By hand: tenon saw, mortise gauge & marking knife
    5. Cutting Rabbets
      • By machine: router; table saw w/ dado stack
      • By hand: rabbet plane
    6. Cutting Dados (cross grain grooves)
      • By hand: dado plane
    7. Cutting Grooves (along the grain)
      • By hand: plow plane
    There's just a few examples. I'd sit down and figure out all the different operations you currently use your machines for now, then think about how you'd accomplish the same task with the tools you have. If you can't figure a way to do it with the tools you have, then you need a new tool for that operation.

Robert, thanks for your systematic answer to my question.

I do all of those operations that you mentioned.

I typically work with large maple boards (10 ft long, 12" wide) . In future I will build items like bookshelves and dressers:

Jointer:
    - create a true face
    - create a true edge
    - create tapers

Thickness planer
    - create a face parallel to the true face
    - create loose tenons

Drill press
    - to drill perpendicular holes, up to 1/2" diameter with drill bits and larger using Forstner bits

The other day I was using my table saw to rip out a 2 1/2" x 3/4" section out of 6 foot bed rails thinking to myself "how could I possibly do to this using hand tools?" I think this conversation is making me realize that foregoing power tools for the types and size of items I want to make, will not be practical. To be clear, my deliberations are economically driven, not because I want to be pure neanderthal for idealogical reasons.

Nonetheless, I think I should stock up on hand tools before I leave.

Well, if you think about it a bit, you really could have made that long deep cut out (which I assume is rabbet like) on the bed rails by hand, it just would requite more time that you'd use doing it on a table saw.

A rabbeting plane like a #78 could have been used to hog out the material in a # of passes. Lately I've had the occasion to drop some rabbets in he 1.25" x 3/8" size into some oddly shaped triangle pieces and found that the plane made much quicker work of it than dragging out the dado, and setting it up. Just took a some sweat and time

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Ngan View Post
    I typically work with large maple boards (10 ft long, 12" wide) . In future I will build items like bookshelves and dressers:

Jointer:
    - create a true face
    - create a true edge
    - create tapers

Thickness planer
    - create a face parallel to the true face
    - create loose tenons

Drill press
    - to drill perpendicular holes, up to 1/2" diameter with drill bits and larger using Forstner bits

The other day I was using my table saw to rip out a 2 1/2" x 3/4" section out of 6 foot bed rails thinking to myself "how could I possibly do to this using hand tools?" I think this conversation is making me realize that foregoing power tools for the types and size of items I want to make, will not be practical. To be clear, my deliberations are economically driven, not because I want to be pure neanderthal for idealogical reasons.

Nonetheless, I think I should stock up on hand tools before I leave.
    You can absolutely do all of these things with hand tools. Yes, it's more physically laborious to handsaw vs. push it over a table saw, and maple is certainly harder to work by hand than other woods. But not that much more when doing things in small quantities. Ten or twenty pieces adds up to a lot of work, but not 1, or 2, or 4. Which for a hobbyist is generally the quantity required.

The bed rails can be done with a ripsaw, then cleaned up with a jointer plane. Yes, you can hand-rip a 6' length of 3/4" stock 2 1/2" wide (or even 2 1/2" stock 3/4" wide). You just have to learn how to handle the ripsaw and steer it. Practice on some easier lumber first, it just takes a few before you get pretty good at it.

Case in point, Monday night I was teaching an intro hand tools class where I had everybody rip a 2" width off a 5' board. The point was to show them that they could maintain a 2" width (with some slop) for 5'. Doesn't matter how ugly the cut is, since it will be cleaned up with a plane. The main thing is to know how much error margin you need (does your current skill level require a quarter-inch of tolerance in your cut line, or a sixteenth?). More practice means you can cut to finer tolerance, leaving less to cleanup with the plane.

Properly tuned tools and some practice make a huge difference. A sharp ripsaw cuts 3-4 times as fast as a dull one, so we're talking the difference between 5 minutes for a long rip with a sharp saw vs. 20 minutes with a dull one. For 3/4" stock, you can expect 30-60 seconds per foot, depending on the wood. Again, in small quantities, this is work you can accomplish easily; lack of power tools shouldn't be a hindrance.
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

Blog Entries
    If you can ship your electric tools down under, could you just change out the motors with ones made to run on the local power company's voltage/frequency?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

10. Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Ngan View Post
    In 3/4" thick stock, that cut could have pretty easily been done with a rip hand saw and cleaned up with a jointer plane in a few minutes. But that doesn't mean you want to do it that way. Ripping hardwood is work, no doubt about it.

There are a lot of times I wish I had a band saw.

I had to make several 8' long rips in 12/4 walnut recently and have ripped a lot of 12/4 in other species and even some stock over 12/4. All I have to do so is a 5½ point rip saw. It's really not the right saw for stock that thick. I'm not sure that the right kind of hand saw for stock that thick even exists today.

For boards like that, and for resawing, I'd like to have a bandsaw. For 6/4 and thinner, sharp hand saws work just fine.
    Last edited by Robert Rozaieski; 11-03-2010 at 1:06 PM.

Phillip - I'm going in your direction, but by choice. I will probably keep a router around just in case I need to build something quickly on the mrs. demands.

My hybrid TS is out the door next week with some craigslist luck.

What I won't ever ditch is having a good bandsaw around. It's too useful, and the one thing I have zero interest in doing by hand is hand sawing stock that's 4" thick or resawing hardwood by hand.

A good bandsaw with a decent fence will allow you to do your rips accurately, just run a smoothing plane or something up the edge to clean out the blade marks, it's very quick. Won't take much room or throw short stock in your face, either.

You might decide to keep a lunchbox planer, too, I can see the usefulness of that if you don't like thicknessing hardwoods with hand planes. I have one, too. I haven't gotten it out in 2 years, but I'll keep it just in case i need it. (admittedly, I have mooched some time off of a friend's spiral headed dc580 planer - but not too often - and that makes me want to use my lunchbox even less).

+1 with Jim. Just swap the motors
    Please tell me that was scrap ...

Australia

Phillip
    My best advise would be for you to post this question on the Australia Woodwork Forums board. Lot of good information and several of your fellow Canadians that have already made the same move your making are members as well.
    Regards
    Randy

My bad for not being clearer. The bed rails I was working with were 5" x 1.5" in section (x 6 ft), and I ripped out a 2.5" x 3/4" rabbet out of it using the tablesaw. I was wondering how I would do that with hand tools.

@Jeremy - thanks for pointing out the #78 rabbet plane. It's not one I've paid much attention to, but you bring up the interesting point that it can be used to hog material. In fact, the "hogging" tools are the ones that I think I need to pay attention to. This includes a scrub plane. These coarse hand tools are precisely the ones I've never needed when I have access to power tools. What are the classic "hogging" hand tools, that I could investigate further?

@Jim/Charlie/Randall - I've actually been on the Aussie forums, and the general consensus is that I'd be better off replacing the whole machine. Induction/synchronous motors will over heat because of the lower frequency (50Hz) even though I can use a step down transformer to get the voltage correct. Also, the motors on these machines have a NEMA-56 frame, and these are hard to come by in metric countries. And rewinding the motors is expensive.

@David - I think it was on the general forum that there was a recent thread where many people were moth-balling or getting rid of their table saws - mainly for safety reasons. And doing rips with a plunge saw/bandsaw combination.

@Steve - good idea to practice some hand sawing on softer lumber. I recently bought a Disston D8 5 1/2 TPI in anticpation for my transition. I'm guessing that I'm pretty sloppy at the moment. Your point about sharp saws makes me think I should stock up on triangular files.

You guys are great.

Hi Phillip,

As you already know, we have 240v 50Hz mains here. Sometimes you can get by with smaller tools using a 240/110 transformer, probably not the bigger stuff.

The cost of freighting your power tools would be a factor in deciding the best approach. If it was me, I would sell the Candian power tools, in Canada, and buy new ones in Australia. (Or use the cash to buy up on hand tools. )

http://www.woodworkforums.com is a good place to ask your questions on Australian tool suppliers.

Regards
    Ray