Thread: double cyclone

double cyclone

i am looking for a moveable cyclone extractor does anyone have information on the feasability of building one i was thinking of mounting 2 10inchwide units on the top of a 50 gallon steel drum with 3inch inlets to each and married to a 4inch manifold,my thoughts are that this arrangement will keep the height of the unit to a minimum and still fit within the width of a 50 gallon drum. it would be used in the main to pick up dust from table saw ,sander ,pillar drill and band saw using only 1 at a time.i live in thailand and when my shop is finished i should have plenty of spare time to build this .it must be great to have acess to all the wonderful tools and other goodies that i drool over when logged in to this forum,most of the tools are just not available over here and if i can find them they are grossly overpriced anyhow i am starting to digress,any help on the cyclone will be greatly appreciated

The big benefit of a cyclone is that it extracts most of the dust from the airstream before it goes to the filter. That is, it reduces the frequency with which you must clean the filter. If you're just using one tool at a time, and dragging the dust collector around, you're not making a huge amount of dust. If you're not making a huge amount of dust, you wouldn't be cleaning the filter in a conventional single-stage dust collector very often, so investing in a cyclone may not be worth it.

If you really want to study up on cyclones, one voluminous online source is Bill Pentz's site http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Anthony,
    Welcome to SMC, I see this is your first post and you just joined--good to have you here!

I noticed yesterday that Grizzly introduced a decent looking mobile cyclone, here's the link, you probably can't order one in Thailand but maybe another company sells a clone out there, or at least this will give some ideas.

NEW! G0703 Cyclone D.C. 1-1/2 HP-2 Stage
    $850.00
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

thanks for the replies but my problem is that i have been unable to locate a cyclone anywhere in thailand which would mean importing one which in turn involves exorbitant shipping costs plus a 65percent import duty making a $1000machine around $2400 .i am certain that i could build one over here for considerably less than that, i have already located a 3 hp blower (second hand)but in excellent nick for 2500 baht thats about $85.the steel sheet is around 1500baht about $50 .with the difference in costs you can see why i am going to build my own .the reason i was thinking about a moveable low height cyclone is because my table saw is in a shop at one side of my house and all my other tools are in a second shop at the other side of my house not an ideal situation i know but space dictates the position ,i think something around 8 feet high would be very ackward to move from 1 shop to another i am thinking that twin 10 inch cyclones atop a 3 foot high drum would come out at around 6 foot 6 inch high

As cyclone diameter shrinks, separation improves BUT resistance increases. A 10" diameter cyclone may be a challenge for conventional blowers.

thanks phil i didnt realise that though where i will be getting my blower from only sell second hand electric motors- blowers and they have literaly thousands on the shelvesof every size and shape you can imagine,i have seen lots of high pressure blowers there but didnt think i needed a high pressure unit so havent inspected them ,will do that on the next visit thanks again

you may want to look into something like this http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm if you are having problems finding something locally.
    Please tell me that was scrap ...

HAHA .. i hadn't seen Phil up there.
    Please tell me that was scrap ...