Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exciting CL find! (for me)

Exciting CL find! (for me)

I was doing my usual browse through CL when I came upon a 76" Grizzly jointer with spiral cutters for $400!! Called up the seller, who's in PA. and he's decided to downsize. He sold off an 18" Micromark BS in the spring (missed that one!). The jointer is in excellent shape and about 5 years old. My buddy is available to pick it up in his pickup this weekend. Only problem: getting the wife's ok! Need to work on that issue this week and find a place for the jointer! It may end up in my friend's hanger for a bit until I clean out the garage!

To be continued.......

At first I was imagining a jointer big enough to joint a six foot wide slab...

So is it 6" wide or have 76" long beds? Either way good find!

Same here Van!

Thomas - please refer to the maximum width of the jointer, or you're going to cause a lot of neck injuries from the double takes!

Sounds like a G0490 8" machine to me! $400 is a great price, even withOUT the spiral cutterhead! ENJOY!

The wife should be proud of you for your CL prowess! You just saved her several hundred dollars!
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 11-03-2010 at 12:43 AM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

It's an 8" machine. I've been waiting to find one as most of the ones people sell are 6". I've questioned it here, recently, and the consensus was go for the 8". It has the extra long (76") bed, 3hp and a helix cutter. It's about 5 years old, so it has the wheel adjusters instead of the levers (I think the wheels are easier to use). The machine is in excellent shape and comes with a mobile base. There is only one problem. I was going to hide the elephant at the flying club in a friend's hangar (my other project is sitting there waiting for a new windshield and for the wings and tail to be reattached) and the wife overheard me as I was on the phone (in the garage!) with my buddy who's in Vegas at a conference (to arrange pick up help). Looks like the cost of the jointer has gone up since its going to cost me another $300 for a new flat screen for the bedroom. (the old TV has bit the dust). And I just spent $800 today on car repairs! (where's the Pres's bailout plan when you need it?)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Delpizzo View Post

Tell us when it's in the shop for goodness. That there is a fantastic deal that doesn't come around. It doesn't, but you did it. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Delpizzo View Post
    It's an 8" machine. I've been waiting to find one as most of the ones people sell are 6". I've questioned it here, recently, and the consensus was go for the 8". It has the extra long (76") bed, 3hp and a helix cutter. It's about 5 years old, so it has the wheel adjusters instead of the levers (I think the wheels are easier to use). The machine is in excellent shape and comes with a mobile base.
    $400 ?? Seriously?? You'd better get there today or I might beat you to it and offer him $500.. ..I'm leaving work now..

Great find! Wish one would show up like that around central OH...

Wink

You've got one helluva drive Brian! I couldn't believe it either. I'm set to get it Sunday, as the owner will be away for a day or two. It will end up temporarily in the hangar next to my Cessna's wings and my friend's Andy's junker Cherokee 140. Fortunately Andy won't notice it, as my Cessna co-owner Tony already threw an ultralight there and Andy never noticed! (I haven't been able to build my hangar yet due to the need of some green stuff for it) I'll take a pic of it there. I'm also shopping for tv's as the jointer, as I mentioned, will cost me more due to getting the wife's ok! She'll be helping clear out the garage for it, too. I'm hoping to put the tv purchase off a month as the holiday prices will be dropping and, I need a few more dollars in the pocket!

Don't even have it yet, and you _already_ suck ?

Interesting

Yeah. I'd want that thing. In a New York minute !

ok i started another post as we just got it into the garage. I need to make a 220 -230v extension chord and a 4" adapter for my shop vac and I'll have her running; I've got logs to cut!

Sometimes forgiveness is better than permission.

A shop vac is not a dust collector solution for a Jointer. Buy a cheap 2hp harbor freight DC if you have to. That or go back to CL and find one. I would do it soon or you will be buying a DC and a new shopvac.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Do what the gun enthusiasts do.

"Oh that.....I'm just storing that for a friend. His wife isn't as understanding as you are....darling."

Hey Mike, is that true? couldn't I use a garbage pail with a chip separator? or, how about a smaller, ie 1hp unit?

My cable has screwed up: see below as I've posted the same response 2x.
    Last edited by Thomas Delpizzo; 11-08-2010 at 6:44 PM.