Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on affordable first vice(s) for new bench

Need advice on affordable first vice(s) for new bench

I’m trying to decide on vises for my upcoming bench build. As I’m a beginner without a lot of tools, money is tight (I can’t buy one, much less two, $200 vises right now). I see most bench plans with two vises.

So, on the more economical front, what would be a good start for my first bench? As I’m a beginner, I don’t yet have preferences on how I work or experience with different vise designs to guide my decision. I see vice screws for sale individually, as well as some inexpensive vices from Grizzly and HF that look appealing. I’m looking for a solid piece that will hold the work properly and not leave me frustrated.

If it is important, I’m building a modified version of the “Bob and Dave’s Fast and Cheap” bench (which isn’t particularly fast I might add). Ultimately, I might end up spending a lot of money on a later vise setup once I've determined what I like and how I like to work. I would prefer not to spend that money right now though as I would just be taking a shot in the dark as to which vices I would really like. This is also not my dream bench. It will be used to get me started and allow me to gain some experience to help me determine how I want to construct the next bench. Once I've done that, this bench will become my dedicated guitar bench.

I do have one old cast iron benchtop vise that I recently was given. It’s jaws are probably either 4” or 6” and it mounts on top of the bench. I see them labeled as a mechanics vise in catalogs and on the web. Could I use this or would I be better served buying something else? I was thinking that I could put a scrap wood piece between my work and the metal jaws, but I’m concerned that it just may be the wrong tool for the job entirely. Most of the more popular woodworking vices I see mount underneath or flush with the bench, so I'm thinking that this benchtop model I currently have might be a bad choice.

Thanks,
    Dustin

perhaps this is within your budget?

You could collect some articles and videos (Wood Wrights Workshop and FWW) on cutting wooden threads and create some 2" - 3" wooden screws and nuts and build vises around those. Would be a lot of work, but I think it would be pretty satisfying to have vises you created yourself...

Fine Woodworking recently rated this vise as the "best value" in cast iron vises. It's not the cheapest vise out there, but it is relatively inexpensive, and supposedly an excellent product.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    You could collect some articles and videos (Wood Wrights Workshop and FWW) on cutting wooden threads and create some 2" - 3" wooden screws and nuts and build vises around those. Would be a lot of work, but I think it would be pretty satisfying to have vises you created yourself...
    I've checked into that, but the information I found says that you need access to a lathe to do that. I don't have a lathe or know anyone that does.

Darius, that one is within my budget. I would prefer to stay under $50 if possible. Could you tell me why you chose that one instead of one of the less expensive wood vises they sell?

Thanks,
    Dustin

I bought this jorgensen from woodcraft and am very happy with it. Probably still a little bit pricey though. They are going for $135. Love the vise though.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...1-7abb22e0ec5c

What is your actual budget? and do you need to have two vices right away? perhaps you would be able to add one now and one later.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Keys View Post
    I've checked into that, but the information I found says that you need access to a lathe to do that. I don't have a lathe or know anyone that does.
    You don't need a lathe to make the screws. A rounding plane or a jig with a router, even very carfull spokeshave work would get you a blank suitable for threading with home made taps and dies. Check out St. Roy Underhill's book, The Woodwright's Workbook he has an excellent writup on how to make your own screws and nuts. I'm going to start tackling that project today to make 1 3/4 by 2 TPI screws today. I'll post pictures.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Were it me, I'd settle on some sort of a face vise, and a tail vise setup for a first bench.

You could build these vises yourself around a few metal screws that are pretty cheaply had at Lee Valley. A tail vise screw can be used to make a wooden jawed leg vise to serve as standard face type vise, and then a shoulder vise screw can be used to construct a simple wagon vise that serves your tail vise needs.

Last time I looked I think that you can get these 2 screws for about $80 shipped total, $30 for the shoulder screw, and $36.50 for the tail vise screw + shipping.

That keeps your cost down, and if you determine that you would like to build a different bench later just remove the screws and their brackets and reuse them on a new bench.

I've been using a wagon vise setup built around one of the shoulder screws for several years now and dont know how I'd use hand planes without it.

The Record clones made by Groz work O.K. for the money IMO. Got one on sale @ Woodcraft which made it even better. Pretty easy to install and add wood jaws to.

I also use twin screw clamps with one of the jaws clamped to my benchtop to hold things from time to time. Not as elegant and easy as some other solutions, but it works, and is definately on the cheap side.

I think you can get along without a tail vise. Lots of benches have one, but I don't think they're essential. I don't use mine.

I do have a planing stop on the left end, which is an extremely simple, cheap, and effective way of holding work. You can clamp other stops to the bench or use dogs or hold-down clamps to stop things from moving around. It doesn't need to be elaborate or expensive.

I have a metal woodworking vise similar to the ones suggested by a couple of people above. I think you should spend $100+ if you buy one of that type. You may be disappointed with a cheaper one. If you have a good one, it will hold your work with amazing force and last forever.

Jim S.

11. take a look at John White's new-fangled bench from FWW:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/Works....aspx?id=28530

The original article is here: http://www.finewoodworking.com/Works....aspx?id=28530.
    I'm using a variation of his front vice and it works quite nicely. As a tail vice, I made a wagon vice using a press screw.
    Last edited by Brian Sullivan; 11-03-2010 at 4:54 PM.

Wasn't there some FWW article about a "new fangled" workbench that used pipe clamp hardware for the vises? let me look real quick...

If you have an account at FWW, then you should be able to look at this link

This is a link the the sketch-up picture, no account required to see this, I think

The pipe clamps are an interesting idea that I haven't seen before. That beats what I was going to suggest What I have seen is to cut down one half of a wooden clamp and use the other half for the tail vise, but looking at the pipe clamp idea, I like that a little better. Just beware of those metal edges around your tools

Harbor Freight for ENCO has some good vises what will do the job well till you can afford a better vise..

I have two HF $20 vises I no longer use from my bench build and I now use a ENCO WW vise I paid $59 and if you sign up for their mailing list you will get a free shipping code every month..

Just check Enco no longer sells the import vises

Wow HF has them on sale for $35 buy two

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-...ise-94386.html
    Last edited by Johnny Kleso; 11-03-2010 at 5:33 PM.
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

As long as you leave a skirt around the bench, you could always just use regular clamps for now. I used clamps for many years. I never had a vise until a couple of years ago. Anyhow, it would give you a chance to put the decision off until you can get what you really want. Also, it will give you an idea of the kind of work you do and how you like to clamp things. When it comes time to pick a vise, you'll know exactly what you want and exactly what you'll use it for.

Just a couple of cheap clamps and a planing stop will get you a VERY long way.