Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bandsaw suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Just noticed the Grizzly 513X2 went on sale for $895. Compared to the 513P you get a larger table, ball bearing guides, cast iron wheels, cast iron trunnion and the upgraded fence. The difference in price is $200 but if you are upgrading the fence on the 513P you are getting everything else for $110. If I could push my budget up the extra $200 I would absolutely get the 513X2 while it is on sale, the 513P is an excellent deal but I think the 513X2 is actually a much better deal at this price.

The above is sincere, below is for fun...kinda.

Now that we are in budget creep mode lets talk a little Italian, no point in stopping here its time to start waxing poetic about Agazzani, Laguna and Minimax bandsaws. What ever you do, do NOT watch the video about the Minimax MM16... http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.php...irectlink&id=8 click on MM16 bandsaw, or not...
    I have a budget or around $700 but if there is something significantly better for just a little more (like the 513x2 perhaps) than I would definitely consider it. For the $1000 with shipping would this be a way better bandsaw than the 513p? The 513p looks like it has a significant discount from the "regular" price where the 513x2 is a much smaller discount percentage wise. Also, if I'm looking at the 513x2 then that puts me close to the price or the 17" Rikon (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...d-044a2097bda6) which is on sale right now too for $400 off. What are people's thoughts on that one?

barrry.........with a 13" resaw capacity and 1.5hp dual voltage motor, the rikon 10-325 is an very impressive band saw. it should serve an experienced user very well and be a really good starting point for anyone getting thier first BS. and @$699 on sale @WC, it falls right into the price range you noted in the OP. and rikon's customer and technical support can only help make that first BS experience a good one. which is important, as i found out having to deal with jet. wisely, you aren't considering one of those.

with the money you save not going to $1000, you can get some good blades. and good blades (i.e., no timberwolfs) will have a dramatic positive affect on the performance of your bandsaw. get the rikon and start making some sawdust!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    barrry.........with a 13" resaw capacity and 1.5hp dual voltage motor, the rikon 10-325 is an very impressive band saw. it should serve an experienced user very well and be a really good starting point for anyone getting thier first BS. and @$699 on sale @WC, it falls right into the price range you noted in the OP. and rikon's customer and technical support can only help make that first BS experience a good one. which is important, as i found out having to deal with jet. wisely, you aren't considering one of those.

with the money you save not going to $1000, you can get some good blades. and good blades (i.e., no timberwolfs) will have a dramatic positive affect on the performance of your bandsaw. get the rikon and start making some sawdust!
    I finally pulled the trigger on the 10-325!! My first bandsaw!
    After months of researching, reading every post on Bandsaws in 3 different forums, getting quotes from Laguna, Minimax, Felder, Aggazani... sense prevailed, thanks to some very helpful guidance here... and the Rikon will be here on Tuesday. Lou from Ittura was extremely helpful in picking up a 1/4" Lenox and a 3/4" Woodslicer.

I was on the verge of getting the 513x2 more than once. The long wait time was a deterrant. Same with the N4400 from Hammer/Felder.

I plan to upgrade the fence and carter a stabiliser in the near future.

All the best to the OP. Many thanks to all other who helped in my search.

Bummer, Amazon has the price on the Rikon back up to $899.00. I had a $150 credit there too...oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Lyndon View Post
    Bummer, Amazon has the price on the Rikon back up to $899.00. I had a $150 credit there too...oh well.
    Just watch the price... I am certain its going to drop again while woodcraft has its sale. Set up a price alert with camelcamelcamel. It works pretty well!

First, as you know people on forums love to spend your money! Second, there is nothing I would rather spend peoples money on this forum for than bandsaws and there aren't a lot of things in life I would rather spend my own money on that bandsaws!

Next, only you can set your real budget, it is what YOU can and/or are willing to pay for a bandsaw. Further, as you have seen deals change every day and it causes certain bandsaws to jocky for "best value" at any given price point.

Both Rikons (14/18") are solid saws as are both Grizzlies (513P/513X2). I think both the Rikon 18" at the WC price and the Grizzly 513X2 at the current price are "better values" than the 513P and Rikon 14" but if they don't fit your budget then it doesn't matter! As mentioned you also need to consider tooling as with any machine.

IMO:
    If you have about $800 to spend get the Rikon 14"
    If you have about $900 to spend get the 513P and the fence retrofit
    If you have about $1000 to spend get the 513X2
    If you have about $1100 to spend get the Rikon 18"

In each case I think the extra money gets you a "better" all around bandsaw, one could argue about specific tasks though.

Right now with the current sales it is a good time to be looking in this price range for a bandsaw but I think the sales also make each of the above saws stand out at a slightly different price point, the good thing is there are no duds in this group and a fair number of satisfied owners of each on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    First, as you know people on forums love to spend your money! Second, there is nothing I would rather spend peoples money on this forum for than bandsaws and there aren't a lot of things in life I would rather spend my own money on that bandsaws!

Next, only you can set your real budget, it is what YOU can and/or are willing to pay for a bandsaw. Further, as you have seen deals change every day and it causes certain bandsaws to jocky for "best value" at any given price point.

Both Rikons (14/18") are solid saws as are both Grizzlies (513P/513X2). I think both the Rikon 18" at the WC price and the Grizzly 513X2 at the current price are "better values" than the 513P and Rikon 14" but if they don't fit your budget then it doesn't matter! As mentioned you also need to consider tooling as with any machine.

IMO:
    If you have about $800 to spend get the Rikon 14"
    If you have about $900 to spend get the 513P and the fence retrofit
    If you have about $1000 to spend get the 513X2
    If you have about $1100 to spend get the Rikon 18"

In each case I think the extra money gets you a "better" all around bandsaw, one could argue about specific tasks though.

Right now with the current sales it is a good time to be looking in this price range for a bandsaw but I think the sales also make each of the above saws stand out at a slightly different price point, the good thing is there are no duds in this group and a fair number of satisfied owners of each on the forum.
    Excellent points. I'm sure that no matter what saw I decided on there would always be one that is slightly better and slightly more expensive. I think I've decided on the 14" Rikon. The extra 4" of space on the other saws for cutting curves and the like would be great but that's really the only thing important to me that I am seeing the other saws offer that the Rikon doesn't. I'm also in a basement so I'll get the added benefit of being able to get the 250lb Rikon down there much easier than a 450lb 18" saw (though I would never base my decision on how easy it is to get the saw into the shop, it's just a nice extra benefit of the Rikon).

Now I just need to do some shopping for a mobile base (I'm thinking this HTC2000 http://www.amazon.com/HTC-HTC2000-Un...9232674&sr=8-1 since it has great reviews) and then need to wait for the local Woodcraft to get one of the Rikons in stock. They said they have 4 coming in sometime early this week!

Now I just need to do some shopping for a mobile base (I'm thinking this HTC2000 http://www.amazon.com/HTC-HTC2000-Un...9232674&sr=8-1 since it has great reviews) and then need to wait for the local Woodcraft to get one of the Rikons in stock. They said they have 4 coming in sometime early this week!
    I have that same base for my G0513x2 and am happy with it. The lift levers are plastic, but they seem to be fairly sturdy.

I was going to post that it was $50 at Woodcraft, but it looks like Amazon dropped their price on it too - I paid $62 three weeks ago.

This is a great thread except for one thing. I too am looking to get my first bandsaw and I am farther from making a decision than when I started reading.

You guys bring up too many good points to consider so now I am stuck in consideration mode.

Someone posted a higher price on the 513P, it is currently at $698. with $89. shipping.

Will aluminum wheels make much difference to an occasional home woodworker? It sounds like both the Rikon 14" and Grizzly 513P will need a new fence for any serious work at some point down the road. So the real considerations for me would be the extra power of the Grizzly and deeper throat vs the cast iron wheels and lack of shipping cost (local pickup) of the Rikon.

Smile

I've been in the market for a new BS and have been following this thread for a few days. With so many good BS products within a narrow price range the decision making process can get confusing so I said the heck with it and ordered a 18" Rikon from Woodcraft (Amazon lowered their price again). Now on to more important things like which re-saw blade to get . Great info.

Thx,

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwini Kaul View Post
    I finally pulled the trigger on the 10-325!! My first bandsaw!
    After months of researching, reading every post on Bandsaws in 3 different forums, getting quotes from Laguna, Minimax, Felder, Aggazani... sense prevailed, thanks to some very helpful guidance here... and the Rikon will be here on Tuesday. Lou from Ittura was extremely helpful in picking up a 1/4" Lenox and a 3/4" Woodslicer.

I was on the verge of getting the 513x2 more than once. The long wait time was a deterrant. Same with the N4400 from Hammer/Felder.

I plan to upgrade the fence and carter a stabiliser in the near future.

All the best to the OP. Many thanks to all other who helped in my search.
    congrats on your purchase. you've got a good start with that rikon and you've started a dialogue with one of the best band saw people in the country. lou iturra has probably forgotten more than most of us will ever know about bandsaws and related products. he's never steered me wrong and following his advise, it'll be hard for you to go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Shirley View Post
    This is a great thread except for one thing. I too am looking to get my first bandsaw and I am farther from making a decision than when I started reading.

You guys bring up too many good points to consider so now I am stuck in consideration mode.

Someone posted a higher price on the 513P, it is currently at $698. with $89. shipping.

Will aluminum wheels make much difference to an occasional home woodworker? It sounds like both the Rikon 14" and Grizzly 513P will need a new fence for any serious work at some point down the road. So the real considerations for me would be the extra power of the Grizzly and deeper throat vs the cast iron wheels and lack of shipping cost (local pickup) of the Rikon.
    never underestimate the importance of mass when trying to reduce vibration and increase stability. go with the rikon.....you can always find a way to execute a cut on a given tool, and the rikon's 1.5hp should handle the vast majority of tasks.

Excellent points. I'm sure that no matter what saw I decided on there would always be one that is slightly better and slightly more expensive. I think I've decided on the 14" Rikon. The extra 4" of space on the other saws for cutting curves and the like would be great but that's really the only thing important to me that I am seeing the other saws offer that the Rikon doesn't. I'm also in a basement so I'll get the added benefit of being able to get the 250lb Rikon down there much easier than a 450lb 18" saw (though I would never base my decision on how easy it is to get the saw into the shop, it's just a nice extra benefit of the Rikon).

i have that base on an 18" jet BS. i can't emphasize enough how utterly inadequate it is. it came with the saw when i got it and i'll be replacing it in the spring. it is a POJ! if you want one like that, check this out :

http://www.general.ca/site_general/a...l/50-025e.html

it's much more substantial. i have a ridgid jointer on it and it's very solid. i'm considering this for the 18" jet:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...d-4230d515b32a

it will accept 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood for great stability, which is very important to getting the smoothest cuts possible from a BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Shirley View Post

If you are talking about me with the higher price, I included the liftgate fee, if you have a loading dock or a forklift you won't need it.

Don't forget the tax on the Rikon... Honestly between the two it is a toss up for me, just depends on which side the coin lands when you flip it. I will say that I contend if you gave 99% of people two identical saws except one has cast iron and one has aluminum wheels the ONLY time they could tell the difference is when the saw is coasting to a stop (CI wheels will rotate longer). The question comes up more often when comparing the 513 to the 513X2 and I think the X2 has so many more value added features it makes it worth the money with or without the CI wheels. Your choice is even harder when both the Rikons and the Grizzlys are on sale...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dodd View Post
    Now on to more important things like which re-saw blade to get . Great info.

Thx,

Scott
    1" Resaw King from Laguna would be my first choice for that saw, if you don't want to spend the money there are more suggestions here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlight=bandsaw