Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aftermarket digital tachometer...anyone done it?

I have the 0462 and the speedometerworks great! Anything in particular you want to know about it? David

Well, I'm not sure if you've looked at the set up or not. If you have, what does it use to sense the rpm's? My understanding is that there are 4 wires that come out of the unit. Two are power to it, and two monitor the rpm's. Of the ones that go into the headstock, where do they attach? I think there is some sort of sensor that goes in there. Does it read off a bolt that is spinning on the shaft?

Thanks for replying. Glad to hear someone likes it. I've seen it in action and wasn't sure if the one I saw was just acting funny or if that is how they all are. The one I saw was on a returned lathe to Grizzly...don't know why it was returned...maybe the tach, maybe something else.

Anyway, anything you can tell me would be appreciated.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Stephen, a little robust, huh? Ya think! Wow, now THAT is a set up. I only have two issues with his tach setup. Okay, I have more than two, but two major ones: First, making the 60 tooth pickup; and second, I can't mount anything on the outside end of the headstock because it is threaded for use. Not to mention, I think his setup is out of budget...

Thanks for the link, though. It was very informative. Also, thanks a million with all the help you've been giving me with the VFD and stuff. You've been very kind.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Not sure what VFD you got, but if it has a digital display, check the manual--you may be able to get it to show rpm on the display.

On my VFD, which was a cheapie btw, I just had to program in what the motor was rated for at what Hz, i.e. 1750rpm at 60Hz, and it does the math for me. Of course you have to take pulley sizes into consideration too. A little more math tho and you can have the correct rpm on the readout.

That is, if yours will do that.

And I know, it's not what you want to hear, but as others have said, I never look at the readout anymore anyways.

We are turning wood here. They don't have uniform density. Moisture distrubution would affect the balance of the blank. The best tachometer is your gut feeling. If the lathe shakes, or you feel that it is spinning too fast, dial it down. Start slow, increase speed till I think it is too fast, then back off a little. After the blank gets more balanced, I will try to gradually increase the speed. I think that is how I can maximize the benefit of the variable speed feature of the lathe. Only the confience can tell me when I can increase the speed, not the rpm read out.
    Gordon

Not sure about the lathe mod, but I don't find the speed indicator on my PM useful for most things. About the only time I use it is when hand chasing threads, and it's not essential there. I'd definitely recommend setting it up sans tachometer first... You may find another place to spend that money.

Ditto what Gordon and David said. I have a speed indicator and I don't think I have ever even looked at it. I know I don't use it for turning. I think turning by feel is a lot safer and I can spend money elsewhere.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Since none of you guys are using yours, maybe you could just detatch yours and send it to me!
    I drink, therefore I am.