Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milwaukee 3.5 HP 5625 router won't start!?

Milwaukee 3.5 HP 5625 router won't start!?

Have the 5625 mounted in router table and when I prepared to do some routine routing today, the unit would not start...About 3 years old, used only occasionally but has done its fair share of raised panels. Checked all electrical connections, switch etc but no luck...Has been an excellent table mount till today...I'm baffled . What could it be on such a low-use, relatively new heavy duty router? Thanks.
    Jerry

Gotta' ask the stupid questions, too.

Is your electrical panel circuit breaker popped ??

Breaker not popped...Circuit is active...Tried other circuits too..
    Jerry

From the manual.

If the motor shuts off during use, remove the
    bit from the workpiece and push the On/Off
    switch to the "O" position for three (3) sec-
    onds. This will reset the electronics in the
    tool. The tool can then be restarted.

I'd try that.

Thanks Neil...Tried that earlier with no success....Little frustrating.
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Thanks goodness for the 5 year warranty. If the reset is not doing it (makes sense as it was working the last time you shut it down normally) and the circuit is energized . . . brushes certainly aren't the culprit. I've run mine hard for years and the brushes aren't even close to replacement . . . Do you use a remote switchbox? Compressed air at the motor mounted switch? Seems I recall some complaints about the switch on a limited number of tools a few years back; repaired at Milwaukee's expense. If all else fails, contact Milwaukee.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-07-2010 at 5:24 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Glen. Just talked with tech rep @ Milwaukee. He also referred to reset and failing that, referred me to local service center...I also dismantled the body, switch area, etc after that and thoroughly cleaned. No change. Baffling as it came on suddenly. No warning signs. Oh well....
    Jerry

??

I am suspecting the switch. I had the router mounted in a router table with its switch always "on" and plugged into a side mounted machine switch. To run these tests, I disconnected and plugged in direct. Same results. Milwaukee will stand behind it, I'm sure..
    Jerry

Similar problems

I recently had similar problems with a seldom worked 3.5 hp Milwaukee. Different symptoms, but I'll bet it's the same thing......

Mine started surging 1/2 way thru its first real workout, after a year of light duty and infrequent use. I shut down, checked all things, including inside the router, then tried to run it again. Now it would wind up to full speed as it should, then immediately wind down again to a dead stop.

Gave it to a local service center. Waited forever to get it back - they claimed slow parts delivery from Milwaukee. I'll guess it took a month to get it back. Warranted service, yes, but inexcusably slow.

Oh yeah - the defective part? The electronic speed control module.

Bruce said my answer.

The electronic speed control was the problem with mine three times in a row. Warranty service like Bruce was painfully slow. It was in the shop more than I used it, until I finally gave up on the thing. $220 was well worth getting rid of the headache and hassle of running it to the shop and calling every week to ask if it was done yet.

Went through it with mine.....fine sawdust in the on/off switch. Blow it out with compressed air, hit it with electrial contact cleaner, blow out again.....it works fine.
    Maybe I just got lucky.

Ed

Besides the aforementioned electronics and switch, check the brushes. Make sure both are still servicable and the springs are pressing them against the armature.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Drop-off

The 5625 now resides in the service center. They said 7-10 days...I always considered this router my dependable workhorse and the best of the lot..Only occasional use and now this....Time will tell.
    Jerry

Hmmm...I thought these routers were real good and was about to order one to have in my lift in the router table.
    Now I'm not so sure...
    Is it a Milwaukee thing or this particular brand? I wonder if the 2.25HP model is the same.
    Maybe I should just go with the PC 7518.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Hmmm...I thought these routers were real good and was about to order one to have in my lift in the router table.
    Now I'm not so sure...
    Is it a Milwaukee thing or this particular brand? I wonder if the 2.25HP model is the same.
    Maybe I should just go with the PC 7518.
    You really don't EVER read about the airplanes that DIDN'T crash.

Love my 5625.