Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: $35 Worth of Rust & Wood (Disston, Simonds, Stanley)

Marv,

I actually have a couple other ship point No.12's and a No.16 that don't have a nib and I believe they were before 1928. IIRC I have an early pocket catalog that shows a No.7 ship point without a nib.

The top saw still had a cosmoline coating on it. I don't think the saw had ever been used. The middle one was a cleanup but the handle has the original finish. The bottom one was that clean when I got it and has the original finish on the handle also.

I'd like to think these would be at least $300.00 a piece but it's only worth what someone else is willing to pay you for it!

Take care,
    Daryl
    Last edited by Daryl Weir; 11-05-2010 at 9:09 PM.

Thanks JR

I see one of these planes in my future. The plastic blade guards on my saws have to go!
    There are some real nice saws in this thread. Karl, I'm looking forward to seeing how yours cleans up!
    PI

Harry,

Neat little groover you made there. Do you start by locating the cutter up high and lower it more and more as the groove gets deeper?

Catchyalater,
    Marv

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better."

~Maya Angelou~

Its just a wee plough plane.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Thanks Daryl, that's an impressive collection and it's encouraging that it is maybe worth the effort to bring back a good saw. Despite its condition, the Simonds blade is arrow-straight, so that's a start. I'll post when I get it restored, though it surely won't be as nice-looking as yours.

Did Simonds etc their blades? Not that I think it could have survived the rust...

Typical of my luck rust hunting here - if it's good quality, it is missing parts, is broken or severely neglected. If I see something in good shape, it's usually lowest quality, stamped metal, zinc plated, etc.

Thanks for the tips Harry, and yes, I agree you should learn hand filing before using the machine; I've only filed a couple by hand and I think it might be easier than trying to set the guide up and keep it aligned. I just couldn't pass up an obviously old orphan for a buck. If anyone reading this needs the file guide for parts, drop me a PM and we can trade, giveaway, etc.

Later,
    Karl

Karl,

You might be surprised what you find under the rust. Simonds typically had a pretty deep etch so you might get lucky. I'm sure proper & careful cleaning, especially around the etched area, has been discussed on here before and other places so I won't go into that.

Take care,
    Daryl