Thread: Worth making a offer?

Worth making a offer?

Hello

I was at my local small town lumber yard this morning. Will digging thru the stacks, I noticed a shaper sitting back in a corner. I asked the clerk about it, he indicated he's never seen it used....and it's been sitting there a long time, I've seen it there in the past, but never really thought about....

After I got my purchase rung up, I went back out and looked at it.....

Central Machinery model 1053, has what looks to be a 1/2" spindle, 3/4hp motor (9.5 / 5A - 110/220V), currently wired for 110v. Cast iron table, sheet metal stand. There is a round over bit/cutter installed on the spindle. Table has a miter guage slot, but the miter guage was not present. Fence is present. I do not know if the motor runs.

Found a date stamp on the label which read 1983. There is sawdust / shavings on the machine, so I am guessing it was used for some long ago project.

Did a Google Search - looks like Central Machinery is Harbor Freight house brand. Habor Freight has a model similar to it for sale for $399.

http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-...per-95668.html

I am toying w/ going back and offering them $50-100 for it (and testing the motor) and see if they bite......

Your thoughts/opinions please....

Thanks

Jim

$50 or so is probably the most I would be willing to pay for it. I think the Central brand predates Harbor Freight, but it is probably still an asian import. My experience with imports from that era has been decidedly mixed, and don't forget that the bearings in it are approaching 30 years old, too, and are probably dried out and will need replacement even if they are high quality, which they are probably are not.

Make sure that it works; if they won't let you do a test run, well run away from it. It could be a decent machine or it could be a boat anchor.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Asian import from '83, I would pass. Especially one from HF. There are plenty of small shapers kicking around, sears made them for quite a while, they pop up on CL every so often. I'm not sure they do much more than a good router table would though. Here is an example off owwm:

Save your money,until something comes along that you can alease fine parts for.I think that you will be very disappointed----Carroll

pass on it.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

If you don't have a shaper or router table already set up, you could get some use out of this one if you keep the cost way down and it is currently functional. If they want to sell it, offer fifty if it checks out.

Turn it on and let run for a couple of minutes. If the spindle stays cool you will probably get some use out of the machine till the bearing crash.
    Take it home, put the machine to work and keep an eye out for a deal on a Delta HD.
    Maybe they have some extra cutters laying around to make it more worth while.

Don't fall in love with it but I bet it will work and cut wood till you decide if you want to invest in a different shaper. The Deltas HD's can be found cheap BTW. I picked up mine for $100 and have another $75 in it to get the spindle rebuilt.

With all of the above said, for me, I will not bother with any import stuff in the used market. Good quality used gear is around in abundance at often the same price point as the junk. For my time and trouble, I have a quality tool at the end of the day by buying the higher tier equipment.

I did just pick up a Asian Delta 80's DP though that I needed right then and found cheap. I got a job done with it but it is not the sort of tool I will hold on to. No power, poor bearings and out the door it will go when I find a suitable replacement
    Last edited by Tom Rick; 11-07-2010 at 8:54 AM.

The Central Machinery name was slapped on all kinds of import stuff in the 80s ranging from awful to mediocre. I don't see a lot of reason to own a shaper that only does 1/2" cutters, though it would be much better for roundover than a handheld router. I'd pass unless it was close to free and I had plenty of unused shop space.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Laumann View Post
    Your thoughts/opinions please....

Thanks

Jim
    I determined (through experience) a long time ago that I would rather not own a tool, then to have cheap one. (And to clarify: cheap as in quality)

It's not worth the frustration that is inevitable (IMO) with a cheap quality tool. Most of my cheap quality tools are taking up space and collecting dust.

Tried selling a cheap quality $50 tool on CL. Not really worth the hassle; I'd rather give it away.

Mike

I tend to agree with most of the others, here: the only true appeal of this one is that it _seems_ to have fallen into your lap.

But ... getting excited over used machinery that -- even if it wasn't _actually_ a Harbor Freight product, back then, basically IS one, now -- well ... I dunno.

I'd watch CraigsList for a good used one.....

If you want to buy a shaper I would wait till one came along that's more powerful than that (not mentioning quality). Other than possibly getting more profiles for cutters a decent router would probably do anything it could.
    And now for something completely different....

12. Remember, it's time AND money

I agree with most of the posts here. I would pass unless you had the time to look it over and test it out. I know it is fun to find a bargain, but make sure it's a good bargain. If you are really interested in a shaper, check CL and be patient. You will find one that is more expensive, but probably better quality. I would suggest getting a better beast to start with and you will enjoy the work you do with it more.

Good Luck!

13. 1/2" Shaper Table

I bought a 1950's Duro shaper off of CL for $50. It had about a dozen cutters with it and looked like it had hardly been used. After rebuiding the spindle ($75) and rewiring the 1/2hp motor, it works beautifully. However, it is small and can only take small cutters. My thoughts of running out moldings or doing raised panel doors is gone. One added caveat. A reversing switch is a good thing, almost essential. Some cutters turn one way and others turn another.
    A shaper with a 3/4" spindle with a 3HP motor is now my on my wish list. And it should come with about 50 cutters thrown in for free. It does the job you think a shaper is for and it does it safely.

Thanks to all who replied. I will be passing on this unit.

Jim