Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Face shield fogging

Thanks Jason for the head's up. I did try some Rain-Ex on my glasses. It did keep them from fogging after coming in from the cold, but I will discontinue use as I don't need my new [5 day old] glasses scratched up. Guess I'll try one of the other things listed here.

It amazes me every day what I learn here on the SMC. Thanks all.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Ryalls
    hi steve,headaches dont seem to be a problem with me,you do get a little condesation build up in the u bend of the mouthpiece but it is easily cleared.i have seen a similar idea somewhere with mouthpiece and tubes over each shoulder with 2 air intakes just behind each shoulder.
    regards alan.

Alan, I asked about the headaches because depending on the length of hose, you may be re-breathing quite a bit of your own air which would have a higher CO2 content. As the CO2 in your system rises it would cause heavier breathing and probably headaches for awhile. I've seen the double thingy your mentioned but can't remember the name
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Hey Carole,
    I just set up a fan that blows across me from left to right with just enough force to keep my face shield from fogging. This has worked for me for 10 years now.
    Brad McCollum
    Mac Woodworks

I've also heard that wiping the inside of the shield with a fabric softener sheets work, so I'll try it today and report back. If it works that would be a very easy solution as I also have the same problem and it appears others do also.

Also, I've worked with a lot of acrylic products and you do have to be very careful what you clean it with. Being a softer product I have a feeling the face shields we use are more sensitive. Avoid any cleaning products with ammonia, ketones, halogens, window cleaners, kitchen scouring compounds, aromatics and solvents such as thinners, acetone, gasoline, benzene and tetrachloride. Few of these I found out the hard way.

For the past 2 years, I have been using a Uvex Bionic Face Shield with an anti fog coating. They have both regular and anti fog visors available. I have never had it fog up on me, never. It is also the most optically clear face shield I have ever used. I got mine at Woodcraft and they are a bit more pricey but well worth the extra cost.

Dale
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

+1 on the Uvex Bionic Face Shield.

I have been using a fabric softener sheet. Tends to lessen the amount to dust that sticks to the mask too.

I use "Cat Crap", that's the brand name, on my goggles at work. Have to try the fabric softener sheet though.

I use a PAPR (Trend Airshield Pro). It has enough CFM to keep most of the moisture cleared off (unlike my old Triton). Still fogs a little in colder temps though.

The two tubes over the shoulder respirator was invented by Jim Duxbury- it's called the "Resporator".
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Hi All
    Before I started using my Bionic shield I wiped my safety glasses with a USED dryer sheet, a new sheet will leave a mess.I also wipe my tools and lathe with them when I'm going to turn acrylics it helps take away allot of the static.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Just View Post
    I have been using a fabric softener sheet. Tends to lessen the amount to dust that sticks to the mask too.

I tired the fabric softener sheets . . . worked very well but make sure you use one that has already gone through the dryer (as Harry pointed out) - yes leaves a mess but used ones do not and they do seem to work (just a little warning for those trying this for the first time).

But after reading Dale's, Dan's, and Harry's posts I ordered myself an Uvex Bionic Shield from Amazon. I made sure it had the anti-fog shield and then compared it with WoodCrafts - same thing but I got it for right around $25!! I normally support the local stores even if they are a chain but when their price is double sorry but that's just way too much of a difference.

I used a "No Fog" solution as a diver...spit just didn't work for me. Fogging occurs because moisture (vapor) attaches to particulates on a surface. So the theory goes that if you can keep the surface free of particulates, your also fog free! HA!! Any liquid put on a surface to protect it will cause a distortion. If your cool with that, the no fog solutions for ski goggles would work better. The best solution, although maybe not the most efficient, or even possible, would be to raise the shop temperature to stop the vapor upon exhalation.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I saw on Capt. Eddies videos on YouTube say that for the last 15 yrs or so he has been using "Son-of-a-Gun" car cleaner for cleaning his glasses and face shield. I am going to try it as soon as I can get to WalMart where he says it's at.

I don't think son of a gun is available any longer and I had to get the Armor-all equivalent.