Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Face shield fogging

Face shield fogging

WHat do you guys and gals use to keep your shields from fogging? Is there any common household product that will accomplish this? When we go scuba diving, we spit in our masks then rinse them to keep them from fogging, but somehow I don't think this is the thing for a face shield!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Hi Carole!

ski & dive shops sell an anti fog compound. Comes in spray on, squeeze on, or wipe on towels.
    I have used bar soap and buffed the goggles clear with a soft cloth. Works great but attracts dust.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Breathe less! .

I have not had this problem with my face shield, but my skiing goggles (way back when I was in shape enough to ski) always fogged on me. They sold a product called "cat crap" that was supposed to work. Don't know if it's still available.

Do you breath through your nose? Maybe that would help.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Antwarg
    Do you breath through your nose? Maybe that would help.

Stefan
    When it's not stuffed up with walnut dust!

Thanks for asking that question, Carole. I've have had that problem with my glasses when wearing dust mask, or when I'm wearing a face shield. Tried holding my breath, but very few things I do take less than a minute, which is the extent of my breath holding abilities.

Your question sparked a neuron in my little pea brain, though. I use "Rain-X Anti-Fog" on the bathroom mirror and now I think I'll try it on my glasses as well as my face shield. It might even keep my glasses from fogging up after coming in from the cold. I'll let you know.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Try liquid dish washing soap . I use it sometimes on my ski goggles.

Ed

Carole try Novus #1 plastic clean and shine is also anti fog and static. I got mine at a motorcycle shop. Halsey

i had this problem,which for me is made worse being a specs wearer.so thinking cap on.heres what i do,wear face shield with swimming clip on nose and snorkel mouthpiece connected to a piece of gardenhose thro a hole drilled in side of shop,with a piece of gauze taped over the end for a filter to keep unwanted bugs out.
    this is not a wind up!

Carole: I have been using a faceshield made by Elvex, for years, it is uses a screen shield instead of the plastic type normally found. The unit includes a ratchet head gear, and did sell for $17.50. Check out this URL www.elvex. com, and search for unit HG-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    Your question sparked a neuron in my little pea brain, though. I use "Rain-X Anti-Fog" on the bathroom mirror and now I think I'll try it on my glasses as well as my face shield. It might even keep my glasses from fogging up after coming in from the cold. I'll let you know.

Karl
    Karl, don't use the Rain-X on your lenses if they are in any way non-glass. They will scratch, and the solvents in Rain-X are harmful to polycarbonates and other plastics (face shields, high-index lenses, etc.). I had a pair of glasses with HI lenses on which I used Rain-X religiously. They didn't fog up, but they were very scratched up in a short time. I asked my optometrist about it, and they confirmed what I said above. Now my current glasses have similar lenses and far fewer scratches after several years of use, instead of being worthless in just a few months.

Jason
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Ryalls
    i had this problem,which for me is made worse being a specs wearer.so thinking cap on.heres what i do,wear face shield with swimming clip on nose and snorkel mouthpiece connected to a piece of gardenhose thro a hole drilled in side of shop,with a piece of gauze taped over the end for a filter to keep unwanted bugs out.
    this is not a wind up!
    Interesting solution Alan, how long does it take before you get a headache?

I have heard that storing the faceshield or goggles in a bag with a fabric softener sheet works.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Carol,
    Just like a dive mask there is no substitute I have found like keeping it really clean. First use you need to clean off the manufacturing residue and then occasionally clean with soap and water and dry. Works well for me.
    John

hi steve,headaches dont seem to be a problem with me,you do get a little condesation build up in the u bend of the mouthpiece but it is easily cleared.i have seen a similar idea somewhere with mouthpiece and tubes over each shoulder with 2 air intakes just behind each shoulder.
    regards alan.

Has anyone tried using shaving cream to prevent fogging. I know it is suppose to work on bath room mirrors, but I have not tried it yet. You apply the shaving cream to the inside of the shield and wipe it off with a soft cloth . Also using a fabric softener sheet to wipe the lens will help cut down the static electricity that saw dust clings to.

Just my 2 cents,
    Dave

Shampoo

I use shampoo on my glasses before I go play hockey. It works for the cold air and the warm breathe and might work in your situation.

Cat Crap is still available and that is what I use on my ski goggles. Works like a charm.
    Matthew Poeller