Thread: Bosch 1591 vs. 470 jigsaw?

Arrow Bosch 1591 vs. 470 jigsaw?

I'm in the market for a new jigsaw. I just sold my trion EQ which I loved except for the dust collection shroud which obscured the blade and I never could get used to it.
    I've pretty much settled on a Bosch. Question is which model, the tried and true 1591EVSK, or the newer JS470EB? I think I like the barrel grip but would also like to hear input on that route, too. I've heard better control with the barrel grip but it heats up after a spell.

Don't know anything about the new model. I have used both the barrel grip and the top handle. I personally prefer the top handle. It is a more comfortable position (for me) for cutting than the barrel grip.

i have the 1591 barrel. Looks like the only difference is the power (7.0 vs 6.4 amps). Might as well get the newer one.

I have a 1591 and love the way it cuts. Although it's clear, the dust collection shroud obscures the blade, so I either forgo dust collection or take the shroud off which reduces the effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    I have a 1591 and love the way it cuts. Although it's clear, the dust collection shroud obscures the blade, so I either forgo dust collection or take the shroud off which reduces the effectiveness.
    I wasn't aware the 1591 came with a dust shroud? I thought it has an adjustable "dust blower"?

EDIT: I DL-ed the 470 manual from Bosch. I see the dust shroud is an accessory. Perhaps it is for the 1591 too?

One thing I noticed between the barrel and D-handle 470's: The D-handle has an adjustable speed control in the form of a trigger where the barrel handle has a simple on/off switch with another 5 position speed switch. Hmmmmm......
    Last edited by Jim Kirkpatrick; 11-08-2010 at 2:33 PM.

i've got the 1591 top handle and couldn't be happier. on the same note, i know people who absolutely love the barrel grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Brault View Post
    i've got the 1591 top handle and couldn't be happier. on the same note, i know people who absolutely love the barrel grip.
    The 1591 is the barrel grip. For anyone ordering online, be sure to order the correct model # or you may not be happy with what you receive.

I just ordered the Bosch JS470EB in barrel grip. $169 from Sunrise Tools free shipping. This video roped me in:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfMnH6KnH4Q
    Last edited by Jim Kirkpatrick; 11-09-2010 at 11:12 AM.

The new barrel grip is smaller diameter than the old one, which might be nice. However, I'm not convinced the new one is better than the old.

The new one is cheaper, which raises some red flags. It also doesn't have the side blade guides right down by the surface, which seems like it could affect the performance in tight turns or thick wood.

The new motor draws half an amp more electricity, which could mean its more powerful or possibly just less efficient. It's possible the smaller diameter contributes to lower efficiency. I think it's notable that the Bosch website doesn't make any claims about actual power, just amp rating.

sorry will. 1590 then , i believe????????????

Is the new model on retail shelves yet? I haven't seen it at either Home Depot or Lowe's, and both my Home Depots and Lowe's carry the Bosch 1590/91 series jigsaws. When the new one shows up, I'd like to think that they'll clearance the old ones.

Blog Entries
    The top handle/barrel grip is a personal preference. I like the barrel and have the 1591. Cuts 8/4 hardwoods stupid smooth and without effort. The new version looks like an improvement on a very nice tool.

The top handle allows the variable speed to be controlled with the trigger so if that is important to you, factor that in. I went from a Skil hop-o-matic to the Bosch so the difference was quite striking. I never knew the jigsaw was an actual tool before.

Another strange sensation is the ability to run the saw's cutting speed quite slowly and move through thick hardwoods with precision. Kinda like a granny-low gear in a truck ;-) I keep mine handy as my tool of choice to cut stock to rough length. My circ-saw is well rested now-a-days.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler