Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone get a hands on with Bosch Articulated Miter Saw??

Anyone get a hands on with Bosch Articulated Miter Saw??

I was considering buying a new miter saw and ran into the Bosch Articulated Miter Saw. It's a couple hundred more than the Dewalt, but less than a Kapex. To me it seems without the slides it would be very accurate. And the front controls seem to be a good idea as well. I have not seen it (no stores carry it in my area).

Wondering if anyone went to the IWF or has gotten their hands on it someplace else??

I think its an interesting concept, to me the biggest benefit is that the rails don't stick out so far out the back that it saves a considerable amount of depth. I've looked around and haven't seen any in the stores but am anxious to find one and get my hands on it.

I too look forward to some reviews. A miter saw, in my opinion, is one tool that is 100% accurate or it's junk.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

That's a mighty spendy miter saw for sure, but if it lives up to its promise, that could be a real innovation. I love the fact that there are no rails to occupy space behind the saw...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

i came so close to ordering one of those saws.......... but like dave said,,,, its either great or prob. garbage....... hate to say it.... so I'm waiting. the luck i've had recently with bosch front loading washers,,,,, maybe its a good thing i'm waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It won best slider in the 2011 Tool Guide from FWW I just picked up this week, I think... or else they just really talked it up. Looks great in there. I don't have a sliding CMS, just a DeWalt miter saw, but after reading all the threads on RAS vs. SCMS this month, and folks comments on cross cutting, I think I'd like to upgrade to one... and this is the one I'm looking at too.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I too look forward to some reviews. A miter saw, in my opinion, is one tool that is 100% accurate or it's junk.
    I have yet to see a slider of any brand that is as accurate as a non-slider. Every saw that I've tested (including the new Bosch and the Kapex) I can grab onto the handle and wiggle the blade back and forth by at least 1/8".

That said, the new Bosch was better than most standard sliders and the glide action was indeed silky smooth. The reviews are not complimentary as far as dust collection though...put a powerful shop vac on it and the little rubber hood just collapses under the suction. Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Friesen View Post
    I have yet to see a slider of any brand that is as accurate as a non-slider. Every saw that I've tested (including the new Bosch and the Kapex) I can grab onto the handle and wiggle the blade back and forth by at least 1/8".

That said, the new Bosch was better than most standard sliders and the glide action was indeed silky smooth. The reviews are not complimentary as far as dust collection though...put a powerful shop vac on it and the little rubber hood just collapses under the suction. Oops!

Hi Chris,

Where did you get to test the Bosch? Was it as the IWF or are they hitting the stores in your area. I'd like to see one.

How much pressure are you putting on the saws to get them to deflect 1/8 of an inch? That seems like a huge amount and wouldn't be an effective tool for anyone. As much as the Kapax has been reviewed I would think someone would have mentioned this defect.

I have an older Bosch slider that probably has some kind of deflection, but I've never tried to tork it to the side. I'm more concerned with how much it deflects under normal use.

Thanks,

Roger

1/8" deflection on a Kapex? You have to be bending the blade to do that because my budgetary Hitachi 10" isn't that bad and the Kapex is a huge leap ahead of my saw.

My advise is to try to find the Bosch for under $600 because $800 is the MSRP, and there will be dealers willing to sell it for a smaller margin if you look hard enough. One guy on this forum said he found it for like $560 or something like that... For that price it's a no brainer for me to get the ARM if it's superior to the rail system.

My only concern is somebody that has used both the Kapex and Bosch, said the Kapex will be superior for finish cuts, but the Bosch will be a superior benchmark saw for job sites, and general construction.

Seeing as how most people on this forum do fine WW, the Kapex won't be obsoleted by this Bosch Arm.

I use a Kapex, it does not have 1/8" of deflection. I'd really like to see the new Bosch in person, it looks like a great design.

I have seen and played with both. I really think the overall table size of the Bosch is a really big plus. Much better set up for large workpieces.
    Of course you can make any slider deflect with enough side force. Learn how to use the saw consistintly with muscle memory and careful application of downward force and you will achieve precision results.

I think a slider is much better than a non slider because of the angle of attack an a non plunge type cut.
    Just my $.02.

Richard

Can the articulated saw be used for dados/half-laps? (ie, can you get a flat, non-through cut?)

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post
    1/8" deflection on a Kapex? You have to be bending the blade to do that because my budgetary Hitachi 10" isn't that bad and the Kapex is a huge leap ahead of my saw.

My advise is to try to find the Bosch for under $600 because $800 is the MSRP, and there will be dealers willing to sell it for a smaller margin if you look hard enough. One guy on this forum said he found it for like $560 or something like that... For that price it's a no brainer for me to get the ARM if it's superior to the rail system.

My only concern is somebody that has used both the Kapex and Bosch, said the Kapex will be superior for finish cuts, but the Bosch will be a superior benchmark saw for job sites, and general construction.

Seeing as how most people on this forum do fine WW, the Kapex won't be obsoleted by this Bosch Arm.
    The MSRP is $1599, the best I have seen so far is $800 to $850. But its not in full stock everwhere. I saw some blogs referencing $699 as a street price, but so far nobody I have seen is lower than $799. I might wait till the holiday prices come out. But pretty sure I am going to give it a try.

my local woodworking machine store had one at their open house last month (li am on vancouver island, canada). i looked at it but not really closely as i am not in the market for a new scm saw right now. but from what i did see it did seem like a nice saw. the pivot arms worked very smooth but still seemed very stiff. i had always thought that if i did upgrade it would be to a kapex but i would now give this saw some consideration.

cheers,
    m

How do the bosch pivots work? Bearings or bushings? What kind of maintenance do they need? Seems to me like they're making something pretty simple pretty complicated..