Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monticello Poplar bowls

Monticello Poplar bowls

Hello creekers. I wanted to share a few turnings that I'm bringing to the Monticello Museum Shop tomorrow. These are from a tree taken down in late 2008. The tree may or may not have been planted by Thomas Jefferson himself. A total of 92 rings were visible in the cross section before the tree was hollow in the center. Jefferson mentions in his diary the planting of a "laurodendron", which was later changed to liriodendron. Since the home was not owned by the Jefferson family for most of the 19th century, before the Thomas Jefferson Foundation took possession of the property sometime in the 1900's. To put it in perspective, the tree was roughly 7.5 feet in diameter. The void in the center was well over 5 feet. That's right--the tree was only about a foot thick at the base, which was why it was taken down. It had been worked on for nearly 100 years by arborists, who placed heavy 1" thick steel cables in hopes of directing it away from Monticello itself should it fall in a storm or high wind. I was fortunate enough to be chosen to turn some pieces for the museum shop itself. Here are a few I'm taking there.

More pics to follow
    Attached Images Attached Images

A few more pics as promised.

few more.

Your bowls are extraordinary, and the history makes them very special. I wish I could see them in person. Jefferson is one of my heroes. I would love to own one of these.
    Gregg Feldstone

Forgot to ask. How did you finish the bowls?
    Gregg Feldstone

Thanks, Gregg! Jefferson is one of my heroes as well. The finish is a combination of Behlen's salad bowl finish and Minwax Antique oil. I ran out in the middle of finishing these, so the first & second saturation coats were with Behlen's, which I think I will keep doing this, as it seems to darken the wood much less than the Antique Oil. However, I like the shine from AO better, so the third & fourth coats are AO.

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Beautiful renditions. Well done, I prefer the non-NE.

I meant to mention. The "natural edge" pieces actually aren't natural edge pieces. The edge is the INSIDE of the tree---the center of this tree had been hollow for over a century, which gave it the deep greenish brown (much more green in person--the digital SLR seems to brown it up with the flash) appearance in the pictures.

Blog Entries
    Now this is one of the most amazing things I've seen! Absolutely the coolest thing in woodworking. I love history and loved your telling us the story of what is going on. WOW!

Did you get to keep any pieces for yourself? If I could, I know I would.
    Have a Nice Day!

Nathan, Congratulations on those wonderful museum quality pieces! Are they going to be for sale at Monticello? Phil
    Philip

Wow! I am familiar with the story of the poplar tree, but I have never seen poplar with such figure and color - most excellent! Great work on these Nathan, and you are blessed to have been among the chosen.

World class brother!!!

History was certainly in good hands in this instance! You did a wonderful job with very significant wood!

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Wonderful history and beautiful bowls

Nathan, The subtle figure with the darkened wood is very beautiful, the finish is just right to show what the wood has to offer in its natural wonders! It is a great honor to be able to turn wood from such a historic and giant tree! You have done yourself proud and your works will live on for years to come for many to see and to keep our wonderful history and heritages alive and well!

Great job,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Nicely done Nathan and you should be proud. I was there in 2007 when they were discussing taking it down. Of course at the time my only interest was the clock that is over the front door.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.