Thread: Spiral cutterhead for planer

Spiral cutterhead for planer

anyone share some thoughts on the Grizzly spiral cutterhead vs. the Byrd version? pros/cons?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Horky View Post
    anyone share some thoughts on the Grizzly spiral cutterhead vs. the Byrd version? pros/cons?
    I don't have either version.. Mine is the Jet proprietary one.
    People love the Byrd version, but I've never seen a complaint about the Griz version.

It's a great question.

I don't know if any of the WW mags/websites HAVE ever done it (anybody ??), but wouldn't it be a good thing if one of them DID test an OEM spiral cutter compared TO a Byrd, and/or anything else out there with the same approach ?

In fact, in the same machine, they ought to start by using knives.

Magnified, detailed pictures of the results, and any other "analysis" they could give, about results. Couple that with evaluation -- say: after a few thousand bf -- about remaining metal, sharpness, etc.

You know: durability ---> bang for the buck.

Or ... they could show us how to build another chop saw station

I agree, an evaluation would be great. I have come to find out that the spiral cutterhead in the std. Grizzly planer is not the same as the H series or the T series or the Byrd series they sell for upgrades/conversions. It is in fact some 'proprietary' design that is 'similar' to the T series. So, what really do you get and what really performs the best? More comments on real world experience are very much welcome.

After a few years of reading this forum about Byrd vs. Grizzly insert heads, my recollection is that Byrd may leave very slight ridges the length of the board. This due to the angular skew of the cutters which evidently positions them not perpendicular to the planer bed by a very minute amount.

Comments have also been made about removing the inserts, cleaning the head and repositioning the inserts for improved results when ridges appear in planed stock. (particularly in one area)

Several comments have been read about Grizzly spiral heads not having this particular attrubute, while leaving a smooth planed surface.

I don't remember anybody hating their new spiral insert head, wanting to go back to a knife head! Now if I could just find an outrageous bargain one either one!
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 11-09-2010 at 12:07 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I have the grizz head on my jointer and the byrd on my planer. So I cannot do a side by side comparison.

The cutters on the byrd head have a small radius which leave small ridges (a few thou deep) along the length of the board. The Grizz head has straight edge cutters which do not leave ridges along the length of the board. The ridges require some extra sanding or they will show up when the workpiece is held at certain angles in sunlight.

I have had the planer for about 3 years and the jointer for more than 2. I have not rotated the cutters on either machine.

The planer has gotten more work because it is older and I normally remove more material with it than the jointer.

I recent times I have found that I get less tearout with my planer (byrd) than my jointer. please note that this is not a scientific comparison, as the construction of the two machines is different - with the jointer the workpiece is held against the bed and cutter head with one's hands while with the planer, rollers keep the workpiece against the cutterhead and feed it at a constant rate.

MK

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Horky View Post
    I have a Grizzly spiral cutter-head in the jointer, and a Byrd in the planer. It's very difficult to see any difference in finish, if any at all. Byrd's shearing action seems to be a little quieter and smoother, but it leaves scallops. Neither of the cutter-heads produce results ready for the finishing room, still need to sand. Although I love not having to sharpen and align straight knives anymore, I miss silky smooth cut with freshly sharpened straight knives. I can't comment on tear-out, I don't work with highly figured wood.

Funny, I have the Griz on my 10" jointer and a Byrd on my 15" planer. My advice is that you will be completely happy with either. Let your budget decide.

I am receiving a byrd head from Grizzly for my planer today, and when looking I found it was actually cheaper than then the grizzly head. I recently put a byrd head in my jointer and love it. Quiet, smooth, no tear out in bird's eye maple! I haven't used a grizzly head for comparison.

IMO no machine with a round cutter head ( jointer, planer, router, shaper, etc) leaves a piece of wood ready for even a paint grade finish, so the head with the least tearout wins. For me that is a spiral of one form or another.

Blog Entries
    When I was jointer shopping I got to compare them side by side. No difference. I got the Grizzly on my jointer as it came installed. When I upgraded my planer I went with the Griz spiral there as well. Happy with both but, both brands of head are top notch.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler