Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oak Gluing challenge-Help

Good news!

Turned table upsidedown and inspected...Joint will come together and close when clamped..And I will be able to use bar Clamps....i also see a chance to rig up some inside bracing shaped to fit the pedestal...So its workable...All good.
    Now need to separate and scrape and clean all surfaces before glue....Plus find a local source for a plastic resin, epoxy, specialized glue, etc...Think we can make it work..Choice of glue critical with proper prep/clamping..thanks to all.. I'll post pic later..
    Jerry

Smile Follow Up

Good news!! I located some Weldwood, improvised by making some inner crosswise braces to fit, Sanded off old glue using a rasp, used some hidden metal fasteners, and after gluing used bar clamps to hold together (one strap clamp for round area)...Later removed clamps and it did the job!!! Did some final touches today and a little more glue. In the morning, the table will be in use...This project concerned me as it was an old table with heavy use and you can only rework, reglue so much!! Thanks for your help!!! I'll try to get a pic or two later. A happy ending...
    Jerry

I (and a lot of other people) use West Systems. Expect to be out of pocket by $60 - 70 after buying the smallest can (750ml I think) and the microfibre filler.

It does however last for years unmixed.

When they say mix EXACTLY in these proportions they really, really mean it. Don't slosh teaspoons. I use disposable syringes. You can buy special pumps but they're pricey for occasional use.

If you get the mix wrong the stuff will not harden. Acetone gets it off (don't ask how I know )

I would make a piece of wood about the size of a paint stick, hardwood though, and cut it to be shaped like a knife edge. (make two)

Then glue sandpaper to each side, making a sandpapered knife. Cut into the crack, opening it up, and making it take the form of the sandpaper knife. Keep sawing away unit everyting is clean.

Then take the second piece of wood with the same shape as the first, and fit it in the crack.

Glue, clamp, and trim.