Thread: "Build a Shaker Table"

"Build a Shaker Table"

I got me the DVD version of "Build a Shaker Table" with Kelly Mehler for Christmas. I know this is an "old" video (I think 1989), turned DVD but I’ve wanted it for a long time and the wish list finally got around to it.

This is a classic that everyone should have… especially those just getting into building furniture. He takes you through the process of building a table from selecting the wood, milling it, cutting tenons, gluing and working the top, tapering the legs, while discussing details of the whole process in a very easy to listen to way. One of the clearest explanations of sharpening a scraper I have even seen is also included. I think that maybe worth the cost by itself…but don’t tell them that.
    <O

If you don’t have it…run to Taunton Press and spend some money…you won’t regret it. I just wish I did it years ago. Would have saved a tree or 2…or 3.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Loved It

I too bought the DVD and loved it. The thing that struck me has the speed and confidence with which he moves. Gives me something to aspire to!

I thought the he gave good explainations and when it warms up in my shop I'm going to give it a try!

Dave Fried

I have the VHS version which I purchased some time ago, in fact I was looking for it just recently.... I thought it was a well done video, think he show how he sharpens an #80 scraper?

Jim

Glenn,

Thanks I just ordered one!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

He is even better in person than on his video.

I have taken two classes from him. One at Marc Adams, and one at his own school. His school has small classes and plenty of one on one. I highly recommend it.

www.kellymehler.com
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

I believe Amazon has a used VHS for $8.99 + S/H. It's for sale by a private individual, so there's probably only one available.
    Ken

Thank You!

You sure know how to make a guy feel good!

Happy Holidays
    Kelly Mehler

www.kellymehler.com
    Kelly Mehler's School of Woodworking
    Sharing over 30 years of woodworking experience--
    in a comfortable and inspiring environment.

Kelly Mehler? Wow, welcome to our little hang out. Be sure to stop by as much as possible. There are a number of us here who have an affinity for Shaker furniture and have tremendously enjoyed your work. Some of us even finish our Shaker projects and post them for all to see....hmmmm.... Martin Anyway, glad you could stop by. Hope to hear from you again.

P.S. Thanks for the good review Glenn. Sounds like a good one to add to the collection.
    Last edited by Jason Tuinstra; 12-31-2004 at 1:56 PM.

Thanks for the Amazon tip. I just ordered a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra
    Kelly Mehler? Wow, welcome to our little hang out. Be sure to stop by as much as possible. There are a number of us here who have an affinity for Shaker furniture and have tremendously enjoyed your work. Some of us even finish our Shaker projects and post them for all to see....hmmmm.... Martin Anyway, glad you could stop by. Hope to hear from you again.

P.S. Thanks for the good review Glenn. Sounds like a good one to add to the collection.
    Now, Jason, you know I did finish at least one project this year!

Seriously, by the time I get home, my wife will have the manger scene off the table I built (mostly) last summer, and I can do final sanding and finishing. Then I'll post pics, I promise.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style