Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNC Engraver I Built

CNC Engraver I Built

This is actualy the third one. So far its my favorite. I Built it to cut things my laser cant.

To keep everything acurate duting the design/build I lasered full size templates in illistration board. I then taped them to the parts and hand drilled and cut each piece.

NO CNC was used to build this. I plan on putting step my free step instructions up on one of my sites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcJHmpaC_yc
    Last edited by Michael Simpson Virgina; 11-10-2010 at 3:34 AM.

Wow ! Great looking machine - what material is the body made of ?

Hannu
    GCC Spirit GX 60W, 600 Series LLC 60W, Corel 11/X3, Illustrator, Autocad 2004, etc...

This one is made 100% from melamine particle board. I wanted to pick the absoultute worst material to get my design down. If it will work with this then it will work with baltic birch ply.

The thing is after using this material I like it. Its stiffer than MDF and mush lighter. The faces are water proof and the edges esily sealed since paint does not stick to the melamine you can clean it off with your finger nail.

The base is made from Steel.

This designed is aimed at the woodworker as it can be made from basic shop tools. I use only the following tools to build it.

Table Saw
    Drill Press
    Jig Saw
    Portible Drill
    Couple wrenches and sockets

The only soldering is to connect the wires to the homing switches. The rest of the wires are attached with screws or twist caps.

The rails can be alumninum or steel and can be purchased at your local home depot or Lowes.

It took me about a month to design and build. It can be built for around $1500 with most of that going twords the electrics and lead screws.

This version has a 14" x 31" cutting area. I did this size for a reason. Its usable for most of what I want to cut plus it can still be take through larger doors. It can be taken through a 34" door opening if you remove the side motor.

CNC Machine

Michael;
    Great job-really nicely put together! What software is used to drive it?
    Thanks for sharing.
    George
    Laserarts

WOW !!!

That's impressive.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Michael,

What would you think, is this construction strong enough to engrave some soft metals ( like aluminium and brass ) ? I've planned to build a lightweight and transferable engraver for a special purpose.

Hannu
    GCC Spirit GX 60W, 600 Series LLC 60W, Corel 11/X3, Illustrator, Autocad 2004, etc...

Excellent work - I suppose once you have built your first one , you can use it to replicate itself
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Very nice work Michael, not only functional but very nice looking also.

What lead screws are you using and what kind of accuracy / backlash do you have. Really interested in part / supplier list, $1500 for everything?
    Mike

Helix 75W runnin at 89W, Corel X3, Epilog Summit 25W (alive and kickin), CNC mills, lathes, vinyl cutter, Microflame Generator (flame polisher), and all kind of other stuff to keep things interesting

Awesome job. I'm sure it's very rewarding when you see it run.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Wow! Awesome job. What HP is the router you are using?
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Awsome job Michael, am looking forward to seeing it actually cutting and operating, keep us posted please.
    2017 Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Corel X8
    Photograv 3.0

New Hermes Pantograph
    2-Corner cutters/notchers
    1- Combo Shear.
    Vision VE810HD Rotary
    Numerous support tools.

The router is a Festool MFK 700 EQ. On paper is on par with the 1HP bosh Colt but in reality it blows it away. Unlike the bosh colt it is electricly conductive so works well with probes for setting the Z axis.

Im not sure about cutting metal. But its alot more ridgid than my other builds that were MDF. Personaly I think a metal cutting cnc should have a fixed gantry.

This machine was mainly to cut 1/8" to 1" stock and to engrave profiles. I am working on a Foredome spindle mount so I can use my diamond bits to engrave tiles and glass.

Keep in mind the $1500 I have invested does not count the router or software.

Router, MFK 700 EQ, $400
    Mach3 Controller Software, $175
    Cut2D CAM software, $149
    Corel Draw X5 CAD Software, $399
    Autocad Lt, $900
    PC, $900

As a minimum you need the Mach 3 controler software. You can use the free version but in order to do any real parts you will need to purchase.

Cut2D is great for converting eps, dxf, or pdf 2D vectors into 3D gcode.

I make robotic controller chips so one of my goals is to create a stand alone interface that lets a wood worker use the cnc to cut simple shapes into project pieces using a simple interface.

Here is a picture of the dust collector attachement. It connects to a Mini cyclone and Fien vacume.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike that looks like an incredible machine. Well done.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Nice work

Great use of FESTOOL, one of the best tools I have ever used.