Thread: Toolbox Project

Toolbox Project

I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread on their project, so here's a toolbox I made recently, my contribution to Sean's call for project posts. This was all with hand tools, requiring a lot of the techniques we discuss here. Fully loaded, it came to 62lbs., which is just too much to carry up and down the basement stairs without hurting myself, so I now I just use it for saws and long items.

The full build is documented at www.closegrain.com/2010/09/portable-toolboxes.html, showing all the invididual operations with the various tools (and a little antique tool tuning).

Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

That's a handsome box. I like the beveled top panel. Poplar?

Blog Entries
    Very nice - how did you do the top panel by hand? I assme a #10 or 778 or something. I've been working toward that end but don't yet get near the results in your picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dorn View Post
    Very nice - how did you do the top panel by hand? I assme a #10 or 778 or something. I've been working toward that end but don't yet get near the results in your picture.
    Steve shows how here: http://www.closegrain.com/2010/09/po...es-part-2.html

Blog Entries
    Yep, sorry - I didn't see the link, getting blind in my old age.

Thanks! Yes, poplar. I probably should have used pine for lighter weight, and maybe thinned it down. The real problem, of course, is that it's big enough to cram with too much iron!
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

Very cool!