Thread: Recessed wall cabinets?

Recessed wall cabinets?

Hi all,

Ok so I need to find a better way to store my tools and such..and need some advice..

My woodshop is the half part of a 2 1/2 car garage. I have among other things a small metal workbench with cabinet and a plastic standing wall cabinet and those have to go. Problem is, that's all the storage space I have at the moment.

So I was thinking, which is not a small feat for me...I have unfinished walls in the garage, exposed studs, and I'm thinking of building a simple construction along one of the walls. Basically one big cabinet box (6'-7' long) with notches to fit over the studs so the back of the box hits the wall behind the studs. This way I can utilize all the space I need. Good idea or not?

On a budget, what is a good material to use? I care more about function than looks at this point. Although I have a HF dust collector with Wynn filter, I may still need to make some simple doors for it to keep the inside clean, and due to the box's length, some dividers might be a good idea.
    On the other hand, I like the idea of an open concept but don't want a shelf really, I like the idea of the box.

I have never tried to build anything like this before so I need all the help I can get. I am just a simple guitar builder!

Interesting idea, but how are you going to hold it up? You're not going to be able to drill through the back into the stud.

I think the best way would be to use angle brackets under the box on every stud and in addition have the side panels of the box attached to the stud by driving screws from the inside of the box outward into a stud.

Not sure if you are talking about a floor to ceiling cabinet or smaller cabinets like uppers in a kitchen.

In either event I would not notch the cabinet, I would cut out the studs and frame the cabinet in like a door (for the floor cabinet) or a window (for the uppers), just put a properly sized header and associated framing where you want it and viola you have a "hole" for the cabinet and gain all that space the studs would eat up and your cabinet construction would be much more simple. However, how easy this is depends on what is fastened to the other side of the studs, normally with a door/window you are cutting it all out so it doesn't matter. In the end it seems like a lot of work to gain a few inches of space, but sometimes that is just what one needs.

Looking back I see it appears you are talking about non-floor standing cabinets, in this case it would be framed like a window AND it is possible depending on what is behind it to cut the nails/screws with a multi-tool as long as it isn't drywall behind the studs.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 11-11-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Not sure if you are talking about a floor to ceiling cabinet or smaller cabinets like uppers in a kitchen.

In either event I would not notch the cabinet, I would cut out the studs and frame the cabinet in like a door (for the floor cabinet) or a window (for the uppers), just put a properly sized header and associated framing where you want it and viola you have a "hole" for the cabinet and gain all that space the studs would eat up and your cabinet construction would be much more simple. However, how easy this is depends on what is fastened to the other side of the studs, normally with a door/window you are cutting it all out so it doesn't matter. In the end it seems like a lot of work to gain a few inches of space, but sometimes that is just what one needs.

Oh sorry, smaller cabinets like uppers. If at all possible, I don't want anything on the floor but a work bench and stationary tools.

I like the idea of the window frame but I'm sure I will run into a ton of framing nails.

Maybe it is a lot of work for a few inches and I should rethink this. When space is an issue I seem to come up with the silliest ideas, except one that actually works.

Charles,

I don't think the extra <2" you'll be gaining would be worth the added effort to make the cabinets fit between your studs. Also, some time in the future you may decide to insulate the garage. That would mean that your cabinets would have to be remade. I would suggest just making "normal" cabinets and hanging them on a French cleat. If you extend the french cleat along the wall the cabinets could be placed where ever there is room and they would be moveable.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I guess you are right, the French cleat does sound like the simplest solution. I should probably do less thinking in the future!

Thank you all for the help!