Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another humidor to enjoy.

Blog Entries

Another humidor to enjoy.

This was a long time in the making but I hope it was worth it. My Audio business got pretty ugly for a while so I had to do a lot of the install work myself. Things are better now so I'm back at the humi builds. This one is made of Shedua, Quilted Maple and Burl Walnut. Please enjoy. (Sorry for my poor photography skills)

What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

What type of finish do you use for that polish?

Very nicely done.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Blog Entries
    Thank you. It's just many, many coats of MacLac lacquer. This one must have at least 10 coats if not more. The finish on these usually takes longer than the build. The secret is using Micro mesh and wool lube mixed with water to sand the finish smooth. I go to 12000 grit. Then I use a polishing compound made for cars.

Looks amazing. Do you spray that lacquer on??

Blog Entries
    I use to brush on. This one was brushed. Now I spray though.

do you sand between coats?

Blog Entries
    I spray on 3 to 4 coats 1 hour apart. Then I sand after a day of drying with 320. Once I get to about 6 coats I block it down with 220 and apply 3 or more coats. Now after curing for 2 to 3 days I start block wet sanding with 400 & 600. Next I switch to Micro Mesh and go up to 12000 grit using all the grits they have. Then I use a polishing compound from 3-M and a car wax after that. Makes it feel like ice w/o the cold.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 11-11-2010 at 4:47 PM.

Very nice indeeeeed !! good stuff !!
    MARK

Bill, as always, beautiful job! I'd like to hear about how you routed the waffle detail in the bottom. Allows air movement for the bottom layer plus a place for the blocking to divide cigars and support the top tray. Nice touch!

Blog Entries
    I did the dado's and grooves to get the checker pattern by using the out feed stops on my incra fence. I start at the middle and work my way out moving the fence 1 inch at a time. The tray is done by making the dado's on a wide piece, then cutting the strips to size. 2 boards become all the slats on the trays.

Another great humidor Bill.

I especially appreciate the information on finishing. The finishes you have on your humidors is outstanding. Is MacLac lacquer any different from other lacquers?
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Blog Entries
    Yes. it makes everything else I've tried look like water. I also use a retarder and thinner with it. I found that a quality thinner really does make a difference. I'll get you the name and part numbers tomorrow. I'm always glad when I can help. If you use my method, let me know how it works for you. The hardest part of finishing for me is drying time. It's like watching grass grow. Not exactly a spectator sport. LMAO

Another sweet one Bill. I never tire of seeing the humidors you build.
    Quick question if I may. How many hours do you put into a project like this one?
    Beautiful work, as usual..

Blog Entries
    I couldn't give you an exact time but I work 3 nights a week for about 3 hours +Sundays and Mondays, my days off. This one took about 3 to 4 months on that schedule. I try to build 2 at a time but that can be a PITA.

Very Nice

I aways like looking at your Humidors. They are fantastic. I have another question on the finish. Do you use that rub out schedule to 12000 grit on the whole box or just the top? How do you do the edge profile?

~Todd