Thread: Thickness of screen doors

Thickness of screen doors

The thickness of all my 1941 vintage exterior screen doors is about 1 1/16 inches. I'm curious about why the designers of such doors picked that thickness. There is an obvious trade-off of weight and strength to consider. As far as I can tell, that dimension wasn't chosen to make it easy to build the doors out of a standard thickness of lumber from the hardware store.

Just a WAG on my part, but so that it would sit flush with the outer trim if used in front of an entrance door? Personally, I hate the thin screen doors regardless of whether they're wood or aluminum--they just feel flimsy and cheap to me. I just bought a Freud exterior/interior door router bit set, and the first door that I plan to make with it is a screen door for my front porch. I plan on making it a full 1-3/4 inch thick, using standard door hinges and locksets.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Boegen View Post
    I plan to make with it is a screen door for my front porch. I plan on making it a full 1-3/4 inch thick, using standard door hinges and locksets.
    Good lord, what are you using for screen, manhole covers? !

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    Good lord, what are you using for screen, manhole covers? !
    Woven cast iron fibers.

No, I just hate the flimsy feel and sound of "standard" screen doors. The just feel and sound cheap to me. I haven't finalized the design yet, but I may put some small stained glass panels in there too. I'm still sketching ideas on paper (mistakes are cheaper that way).