Thread: Best Nailer For My Project

Best Nailer For My Project

I am building shot glass displays to hold 20 glasses each. These will be hung on the wall, not sitting on a table or shelf. Would you please give me your opinion on what type & gauge nailer to use for holding strength that won't split the thin wood? Thanks in advance

I guess that depends on a few things, like how "thin" are you talking, and what kind of wood...

You probably don't even need to use nails at all for this... proper joints glued & clamped would be plenty strong...

A 18 ga brad nailer is handy for "clamping" on small projects like that.

Just use the appropriate length nail a shoot a few in to hold it together till the clue dries.
    Keep your thumbs out of the way as you shoot it together...!

4. Quote Originally Posted by Dea Walker View Post
    ......................These will be hung on the wall, not sitting on a table or shelf. ....................
    There isn't a finish nailer in the world that will hold your cabinets together over time.

You need glue.

Now if you want, you can use power-nailed fasteners instead of clamps, or in addition to clamps.

But if you want your cabinet to stay together, it won't be the nails. It'll be the glue.

I'll second (Or fourth) what's been said already. Proper rabbets and glue will be your best bet, or dadoes if you're feeling ambitious. Forget what Norm said, you don't need to pull out the brad/pin nailer for every project

Thanks for the advice. I should have been more specific. The primary woods are walnut & maple . 1/2" top & bottom & 1/4" sides & it will be tightbond glued. My main concern is with the bottom staying attached over time with the weight of the glasses & glue only. I thought a few brads might be a nice backup.

pin

for wood that thin i would use a 23 gauge pin nailer but if you dont have one use a 5/8'' brad watch out though in will come right out the side if you arnt completly vertical or hit a knot

Dea,
    The best "nailer" for thin material is a Grex 23guage pin nailer. Pins are available from 3/8" to 2" in length. However, these don't come inexpensively. When constructing any kind of wall hung display rack, especially one that will handle the weight of many (I assume) shot glasses, I would also recommend constructing the rack utilizing good joinery as mentioned in a previous post. With todays glues, you might be able to get away with butt joints and pin nailing, but it sure wouldn't be the way I would go. I don't know your woodworking expertise level, shop equipment, or budget, but if you are lacking in any, you can probably find shot glass display racks for sale with a quick search on line.

Thank you all for the good advice. I don't own a pin nailer but seeing how these displays are a gift for my son it's a good excuse to pick one up. I am also using dados for the joinery so hopefully the pin nailer is the missing link.

I used an 18 ga nailer for years.. Since getting a 23 ga, I think I have used the old 18ga once in a year.
    The 23 ga. is awesome, because the fastners act as clamps to hold until the adhesive dries.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I used an 18 ga nailer for years.. Since getting a 23 ga, I think I have used the old 18ga once in a year.
    The 23 ga. is awesome, because the fastners act as clamps to hold until the adhesive dries.

Same boat but I have never used a 23 ga.
    You thinking the 23 is a better clamper for some reason than the 18 or 16?

Just now I have a narrow crown stapler, a 16 trim gun and the 18 brad gun.

One of the things I saw way back but never pursued was the plastic pin nails in different colors which might be just the ticket for this sort of work.

Thanks
    Last edited by Tom Rick; 11-13-2010 at 6:44 AM.

23 ga mirco pins are not better at "clamping" than brad nailers. They are headless, so the only actual clamping force they have is the "grip" of the wood. They don't do well in a "pulling the parts together" situation, like a bigger "headed" nail can. They will however keep things from slipping and "hold together" parts that already fit well....and go unseen doing it.

A 23 gauge pinner will actually nail toothpicks together w/o splitting them.