Thread: Cordless Drills

Cordless Drills

I currently have two cordless drills, a 14.4 volt and an 18 volt btot Craftsman. One I bought and one was a gift from a supplier.

The 14.4 volt came with two batteries and is about 8 - 10 yrs old. Four years ago I had one of the batteries rebuilt. Now both batteries are bad, one won't charge and the one I had rebuilt the charge dosen't last very long like about two days and dead.

Thinking about whether to replace it or have both batteries rebuilt.

Questions:
    Experience with rebuilt batteries, I know rebuilt is really not a true term since the cells are actually replaced. Rebuilding two batteries will cost approx $125 to $130. A new Milwaukee is approx $229 and a new Rigid is approx $199. Rigid comes with lifetime warranty including battery replacement the Milwaukee does not.

Both Craftsman chucks do not seem to hold bits securely, many times when breaking through the bit grabs, slips and bottoms in the chuck, is this normal with keyless chucks or are the Craftsman chucks not up to par.

So now, replace the drill with something else if so what do you reccommend as good buy for the cost?

Is four years about the life all the batteries even the new Lithium batteries?

Thanks for the input.

George

Over many years and quite a few cordless kits my policy is to toss the whole works when the batteries die.
    These tools are improving all the time and by the time I have used up the battery I have enough miles on the drill to make me hesitate before investing in new ones.
    So my advice- retire the set and buy a new kit.

I am very pleased with this one:

http://www.ohiopowertool.com/p-886-m...l-2601-22.aspx

About 20 bucks less than this price at BORG

I gave away my Craftsman 15.6 kit when the batteries died. I bought a Ridgid 18V drill and it has performed great! After having used Pro grade drills I won't be buying Craftsman again. I was down at HD last night and they had a Ridgid 18v drill along with their version of a cordless sawzall for $199. I am really on the fence right now. 1 of my batteries has died and the other one is OK. The drill itself is in good shape despite the hard work I have put it through........

George,

I recently had the same issue. My 7 year old 14.4V Craftsman batteries died and my 18V Dewalt XRP batteries are not far behind them. I did a little research and I purchased a 18V Rockwell Impact Drill/Driver with lithium-ion batteries. I have been very pleased with it so far. I also like the impact feature it has. I think I paid $179 on sale. Happy hunting.

Steve

I am in the same boat with batteries. I am looking at the Ridgid line they offer free battery replacement Rockwell does also.
    You need to register your tools when you buy them.
    Thank You
    Ed

+1 On Tom's advice

While we all love to save money, and hate to see any tool that works well get resigned to the scrap heap before its time, cordless tools keep changing and improving in many ways. So, before you know it, the whole market has gone from 9.6 volts up to 28 volts, and now back down again to many 10.8 volt or higher with lithium-ion batteries. They're much lighter, now have LED work lights or other attachments built-in like belt hooks or safety loops for working high up like on a ladder.
    You now have a choice of the regular drill/driver, impacts, right-angle impacts, right angle drills or multiple chucks in a kit with the drill like my Festool 15+3. Give yourself a large sigh about the dying batteries, we've all been there. I replaced my 13.2 Freuds, and my 14.4 Makita batteries once each before getting rid of both highly working drills[with no battery life to speak of]
    I wish however, that I could swear Li-Io batteries are perfect. My experience mirrors others here on the Creek. My 10.8 and 18 volt Li-Io Makita impact drivers-flawless, no memory or other issues. My previous Milwaukee 18 Li-Io drill, pretty awful from the start, I should have complained or returned the tool to them. Always had to watch for dead batteries all the time even after fully charging them. My Festool drill, same great battery life like the Makitas. So, it could be that I just got a bad set of batteries, but from reading others post about their troubles, it seems not all Li-Io batteries are the same quality[no surprise, right?]
    Any way, like Tom said, close your eyes, pitch the dying cordless tools in the direction you want, and go buy what's current and at a good price for the style and tool of your liking...............

Ridgid does not offer a LIFE TIME WARRANTY, but a lifetime service agreement. You do HAVE TO REGISTER for it. Replacement LI batteries (purchased separately) also can be covered by the Lifetime Service agreement. BUT, on my 12 LI drills, I have to take DRILL, CHARGER, and DEFECTIVE BATTERIES to local service center. Last time I took one in, it took TWO MONTHS to get a replacement. This was during them first year I owned it. Right now, I'm waiting on FOUR replacement batteries, which should be in next week.

I've got two Milwaukees - a 12V and a 18V Lithium Ion.....

The 12v is pushing 15 years old. I went thru the original batteries - had them rebuilt (a waste of money - should have bought new ones). Limped along w/ the re-builts for several years, then last summer, bought a pair of new 12V.

In addition, last spring I was given the 18V drill as a fathers day present by my boys - it was factory reconditioned - so they didn't pay so awful much. Used both drills last summer when I gutted the kitchen and both baths - complete remodel. Both saw a lot of use - the 18V was very handy w/ it's fast charge time.

This summer, got both out to start working on the interior of my pole shed /shop - found that one of the 18V batteries went belly up over the winter (I had charged both batteries before it got put on the shelf). These are the small batteries.

My experience....

Jim

Rockler is having a deal on Dewalt drills, Bring any used cordless drill in and get $100.00 off a Dewalt XRP. Thats $100.00 (normally $199.00) after discount.

Makita 18 volt Li-ion

I bought the combo set driver and drill black & white li-ion 18 volt makita's and I love them. I use the impact driver 90% of the time and so the drill is always fresh and ready to go. The batteries last about 1 hour but recharge in about 30 minutes so I never needed more then the 2 that came in the pack from HD. About 1 year after I bought them I lost my impact driver. I was so dependent upon it by then that I bought another set. a month later I found the lost impact so now I have two impacts and two 1/2 drills. I love them to pieces I use them all the time and the great thing about Li-Ion is once charged the batteries do not seem to drain while sitting. The other huge factors are the light, I did not think much of it when I first bought them but I could not live without the light now. Also they are so light and well balanced. I have owned each version of the Makita's since the first 9.6 volt and this set is by far the best they have ever offered. My 9.6 14.4 and the old 18 volts all sit in by cabinet, I let my son play with them as toys. The 18V Li-Ion is the way to go.

Ridgid does not offer a LIFE TIME WARRANTY, but a lifetime service agreement
    This (Ridgid Lifetime) comes up often enough to be either a stickey or one of the FAQ's....

i have the 18 v makita drill,its been fantastic,very durable,30 min charge.hope to add the impact driver soon.it seems buying new would be the way to go.jeff