Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get a new Range for da little woman

Looking to get a new Range for da little woman

Has anyone purchase this one from LG? No one has it in stock in my area so I can't do a hands on looksee. Also, couldn't find any reviews online.

LG Electronics 30 in. Self-Cleaning Freestanding Double Oven Electric Range
    Model # LDE3017ST

Or what about this one?

The GE Profile or Adora series?

This one had mixed review, nothing in between. Either it was great or it sucked. Hard to make a choice with such polar reviews.

Any insight would be helpful.

I can't address the LG range questions but I do have an opinion about LG appliances based on ONE refrigerator I've owned for 4+ years. That opinion is: Run, run away quickly. Admittedly anecdotal, I've had performance issues (frozen contents in one crisper drawer unless freezer and refrigerator temperatures are increased to unsafe levels) and durability issues (4 different interior components have broken or cracked in normal, adult only usage). Just my opinion - YMMV.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

Hi Leo,

I just bought a new range yesterday. I had been looking at ranges for a few weeks before deciding.

I too was considering an LG model. Although, I was looking at convection gas and not a double oven. BestBuy actually had one on the floor. I took a good look at it and liked what I saw. I think LG is somewhat new to the kitchen range market which is why there are few reviews. I did find two reviews which concerned me. One woman reported a foul odor which would not go away after several weeks. Another reported constant error codes which made the oven shut down and not work until it was reset. So, I'm not sure what to make of those reports.

Based on my research, Frigidaire is a very reliable brand. Combining this with a very good discount and 18 months 0% interest at Lowe's convinced me to buy a Frigidaire. If you're interested in the incentives from Lowe's, Home Depot or BestBuy, you will have to hurry. I'm pretty sure they are Veteran's Day sales which expire tomorrow (Monday).

I personally do not like GE appliances. Consumer Reports has consistently rated their high-end models very positively. But GE also makes a lot of crap which has scared me off the brand. One advantage of GE ranges is they have a lot of models with pretty much any combination of features you could want.

I was looking at a Frigidaire double-oven model at Lowe's. But the second oven was very small and at the bottom. I don't know if they make a model with a second oven on top.

I do know Kitchen Aid makes a very nice double oven range with a smaller oven on top. Kitchen Aid is somewhat proud of their products, but they are a good brand in my experience. (In case you're not aware, Kitchen Aid is Whirlpool's high end line.)

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

LG appliances are horrible. Stay away as Ben said. GE are typically pretty good and Bosch makes a really nice well made range.

Good Luck

Alan

Bosch doesn't seem to make a double range. The make a double oven though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    LG appliances are horrible.
    +1. I have a house full of new LG appliances. Worst dishwasher I've ever owned - nothing gets clean. Worst refrigerator ever - stuff in the back is frozen, stuff in the front is warm. Worst oven ever - takes 20 minutes to preheat, the finish is discolored from the location of the vent, the interface is horribly nonsensical, the convection fan makes the whole thing vibrate, etc.

Absolute junk.

Gee, these first hand reports on LG appliances are disconcerting. I'm glad I opted for the Frigidaire over the LG for my new range.

FYI, this month's issue of Consumer Reports has an article about ranges. But I've never seen them rate higher-end convection ranges, blast it. They do basic ranges with one or two commercial ranges and nothing in-between. Anyway, the Frigidaire brand has a very low rate of repair in that article, as do GE and Kenmore.

Kenmore also offers many different models with many different features. I'm just not a fan of Sears. But hey, don't let that stop you, Leo. If you don't mind Sears, you can probably find a very nice range with all the features you want in a Kenmore brand. According to the link Dave posted, Kenmore appliances are being made GE, Whirlpool and Frigidaire these days.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 11-14-2010 at 8:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    Bosch doesn't seem to make a double range. The make a double oven though.
    I also looked at Bosch models early on. (I have a Bosch dishwasher that spanks all over any other dishwasher I've ever owned.) Unfortunately, I couldn't find a Bosch 30" range with all the features I wanted. As I recall, I couldn't even find one with five burners.

Didn't LG used to be called Goldstar? They were some of the worst ever made!

I really don't know how good LG is but I do know if you have to have them worked on, there goes that new tool for the shop.

Friend had an LG dishwasher, top of the line model it started to not run all the way though a cycle some of the time.

They wanted $400 for the new control panel plus labor to install it. It did come with a 90 day warranty.

I helped them install the new Maytag.

I get to look at appliances every day as a Professional Home Inspector. Like I said before anything with the LG label is horrible. You might also look at the Maytag. It of course is owned by whirlpool now but I have seen and checked them and they work pretty good. http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFcQ8gIwBw#

I may be kind of weird but I do not like the double oven ranges. Neither oven is as big as I like. I personally have a Viking Range which the Oven is huge but if I had to do it again I woud get the Thermadore as I find them better built and overall nicer units. Of course mine is gas and they do get kind or crazy on price and in reality they are very simple compared to some ranges you are looking at but they just work well. High BTU.

Good Luck on your search,

Alan

We had a top of the line LG dishwasher - lasted 30 months before we needed to replace it.

First, give serious consideration if you REALLY want a double oven. Several friends of mine have them and regret the purchase. Seems to be a good idea in concept, but poorly executed in a small kitchen applicance. The need for dual ovens is rare, but the loss of one large oven space is often an issue. Unless you have experience with double ovens, I'd pass.

As to brands, as said before, I have a two year old Frigidare and love it. I can find no design or performance issues with the range or oven. I've had several GE appliances and say "meh" to them.

Good luck.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

This is what we've been using for 23 years. My parents gave it to us when I was 24