Thread: Powermatic 1150A Drill Press

Powermatic 1150A Drill Press

I am looking to upgrade my drill press from a benchtop to a floor drill press and I have found a powermatic 1150A on craigslist. Can people familiar with this drill press let know what they think and what a fair price would be.

Thanks
    Rich

I know that that is a well sought after DP for the people at Old Woodworking Machines(OWWM). I have no clue what it is worth. Area plays into price.

Sorry - you kind of asked "how long is a string?"

1150A [change speed with belts on the stacked pulleys] or 1150A VS?

120? 240 single phase? 240 three phase?

Tilt table or production table? If production - what is the condition of the table surface [ie - any holes drilled into it or through it?]

Condition?

Age [one age indicator - green or gold? Which gold? - there were 3] - s/n can be used to sort this out

All of these things greatly affect the value, particularly for "old-machines-made-in-America-geeks". For example - Very good condition, VS, green, like-new production table, 240 single phase - you wouldn't want this one - send me the info, though

As you might suspect - I have a PM1150A-VS, early 1980's, the first gold color, Good +. 240 single phase via replacement motor, but have the OEM three-phase motor as well. Production table with a few "dimples", but not through-holes. New bearings. Plus an oddity - an accessory mag starter/switch that was a $500 option, back in the day.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

PM 1150A's are industrial machines of very good reputation. Price depends on many things as Kent said above ^. I gave $185 for an 1150 VS "pea green" version about 20 years ago. No chuck and the Morse-taper spindle nose was bent out of true. I thought that was a steal then. Figure that in today's dollars.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Age [one age indicator - green or gold? Which gold? - there were 3] - s/n can be used to sort this out
    And 2 Greens that I can think of...

Kent gave a very succinct answer. Lots of factors, but it is a very desirable press. I just sold a Rockwell version of a very similar press, 15" VS with a 3/4hp 3 phase baldor motor, mag starter and an almost pristine production table for 395. A Pmatic 1150 is a very similar, maybe slightly higher quality press (don't know I haven't had my hands on one yet) but the pricing should be very close. 3 phase motors are an advantage on a press since they give you very finely controlled variable speed with either stepped pulleys or a Reeves drive.

If the press is complete and in good condition, then it comes down to accessories like the table, mag switch etc. A VS machine is always at a premium whether it is 3 phase or not. 4 bills for a similar press would not be unreasonable.

Better buy it before I trace your IP!!!

(just pulling your leg of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post

for sure - I focused on researching the golds because mine is gold. came across it almost by accident while I was searching for a green, so I bit.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Aquino View Post
    Kent gave a very succinct answer.........
    ......... 4 bills for a similar press would not be unreasonable.
    Bob - first, I have been called many, many things, but that is the first time "succinct" ever came up

Next - you locate a good green PM VS for 4 bills, you buy it for me and I'll come get it and give you a finders fee. At that price, I'll make room somewhere in the shop for a second DP.

Last - I talked via PM [no pun intended] with the OP. He got the press at what seems a very fair price. As best I could figure out from the s/n - 1986 step pulley in good or better shape - never did time in a machine shop. Told him he should post pics.

I am scheduled to pick up the drill press on Thursday. Once I get it I will post some pictures.

I paid either $500 or $600, (can't remember exactly) for my grey VS version and was happy to get it for that price. But as said prices sometimes vary wildly.
    Hope yours works out for you.
    good luck,
    JeffD

Yahbut, the 1150A only came along in the racing strip era, not the pea green era...

Kirk
    Pea green PM1200 owner...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Poore View Post
    Yahbut, the 1150A only came along in the racing strip era, not the pea green era...

Kirk
    Pea green PM1200 owner...
    Do you know the difference between an 1150 and an 1150A?

Mine says it is an 1150 (on the tag), and was made in 1984.

Ben, PM1150 and PM1200 owner, sorry to one up you Kirk

Do you know the difference between an 1150 and an 1150A?

Mine says it is an 1150 (on the tag), and was made in 1984.

Ben, PM1150 and PM1200 owner, sorry to one up you Kirk
    Well, OWWM.com has a 1974 PM price list with the 1150 and no 1150A. But it has a 1979 manual with both the 1150 and 1150A. I would have assumed they dropped the 1150 when the 1150A came out, but maybe they made both as late as 1984.

I've seen both an 1150 (1966) and an 1150A (early 90's, I think). But not at the same time, and I wasn't looking to compare.

Kirk

Anybody seen one of these? I'm in the market for a DP but this may be overkill. denver.craigslist.org/tld/4850071129
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-26-2015 at 8:40 AM.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last