Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Note to self... (you dummy)

Note to self... (you dummy)

So, next time you move and you decide to sell your 15 year old box of nuts and bolts and every imaginable fastener for $5 at a garage sale, slap yourself first....

Man, I've been in the new house for almost a year and I still do not have enough spare fasteners to warrant putting them in a box! I thought I would safe a couple bucks on shipping by not including that box, but I would gladly pay $50 right now to have it back! It used to be that I could pick through that box and find an extra bolt, or some weird spacer or a missing nut almost every time. I think I might have a dozen or so fasteners laying around now. Man I miss that box!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

On a lighter note ... you probably made the buyer very happy

Time to hit the garage sales. There's got to be another dope out there looking to offload their treasure trove of fasteners

I sorted my bolts box earlier this year. I made 7 piles then subdivided into large/small where practical.
    -pan head screws
    -counter sunk screws
    -bolts with nuts
    -bolts without nuts
    -nuts without bolts
    -washers
    -everything else

That has worked very well for me. Not only it is much faster to find what I need, I'm actually making some progress to reduce the pile. I must admit, before, if I were at the store and I remembered, I'd buy a new one. If I forgot, I'd go to the pile.

About 35 years ago I moved into the house my wife's family had lived in since the 1930's. Her dad was a ex-farmer and he bought the house. In the basement was a bunch of cigar boxes worth of hardware. When we moved from that house the cigar boxes moved with us.

Those cigar boxes have been replaced by plastic bins, but I have no intention of of getting rid of them. At least once a year I end up dumping one of the bins out on the table and digging thru the hardware. I usually find something to use.
    Wood'N'Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hatcher View Post
    There's got to be another dope out there...
    Yeah, thanks, I caught that!

Garage sale is a good idea though - maybe I'll check the adds on Friday. Come to think of it, I think that is where my first collection of odds and ends came from...

Sorting them though... Might be to hardcore for me! My Dad still has a 30" tool box dedicated to the nuts and bolts and such. It's been in his shop for as long as I can remember - 30+ years!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

When I moved 5 years ago, every nut and bolt came with me.

Last edited by Will Overton; 11-15-2010 at 5:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    When I moved 5 years ago, every not and bolt came with me.

Could somebody please post their picture of a cardboard box full of completely unsorted and disorganized hardware so I don't get a complex after seeing this picture

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Houseal View Post
    Could somebody please post their picture of a cardboard box full of completely unsorted and disorganized hardware so I don't get a complex after seeing this picture
    If it makes you feel any better I use a pint mason jar to hold miscellaneous nuts, bolts, screws, nails, picture hangers, assorted twist ties and pieces of wire too short for anything else, rubber bands, nearly - but not quite - exhausted Sharpies, odds and ends that at this current time have no apparent use, and hex keys that came with something or other I can't remember. Being female I haven't graduated to a box but when I do it will probably be an old Tupperware container. I live in a condo so I don't have a lot of opportunity to acquire treasures. Oh, and "hex key" probably isn't the proper term but that's what I've always called them. Just for the record my jewelry findings and tools are stored in a tackle box and it's organized so I feel a little better about myself right now.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

No need to get a complex.

I too have a rack of little bins like that. And absolutely no idea what is in any of them. I have to go through all of them every time, looking for the right size screw, or the right nut. I would much rather have a big tin of nuts, one of bolts etc

allright, allright....you win. Uncle.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I kept several jars of bolts and fasteners that I inherited for many years. About 3 years ago, I threw them away. Haven't missed them since. It's been good for my fingers too since may of the bolts had square nuts that I might have been tempted to use. Got rid of many slotted head screws in those jars also. Good riddance!

I have jars too, but I hide them behind my ras.

Will

"Every "not" came with me", actually when I moved in 94 my ex did "not" come with me. All of my tools did come with me and I have actually fixed his cars and helped with his new house, he may may be a pinhead but I still care about him.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Okay, I think I'm going to be sick - these photos are just disgusting!! What, did you guys go and detail your shops just for these photos or are you just like that?
    At least Will here has some sawdust in his dust collector to prove that some dust was actually made - I assume in the vicinity of this photo. But really, it's like a photo out of fine woodworking or something...

Just ribbin!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Thompson View Post
    Will

"Every "not" came with me",

Heather
    Thanks, I made the correction. My ex did not come with me either. I guess with all the hardware there just wasn't enough room.