Thread: Odd Leaves

Odd Leaves

This is a rather odd looking set of leaves. I used some info a client to me which was a photo of folding panels that were carved with this design in them. I picked out a section, made a copy then adapted it to this carving.
    Ultimately a scene similar to the panels will be carved in individual panels for the doors of a wine cabinet. I'm merely bidding the carving at this point but I wanted a sample to go along with my bid. It's one thing to give a price, on a design you're not really sure of, so I thought this might be of benefit to them.
    I'm also not sure what wood will be selected, let alone what designs will ultimately be used for the panels so it made bidding a bit of a shot in the dark. Hopefully this helps.
    Anyway, I did the carving in Bass. It's 1/4 inch deep and gave it a quick shot of sealer. You can see the overall design of the cabinet they are using for reference as well as the copy I made for my design. Personally I'd redesign this piece, but I merely wanted to try and duplicate it as seen for their reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Woodworking Studio

I just looked at both of your latest projects. It's hard to imagine doing that much good work so quickly.
    I was curious as to what portion of clients want a sample prior to giving the project to you. It seems like a lot of work on your part just to get the bid. I had thought you would be selling from a pictorial portfolio.

hi mark, very nice translation of the drawing... i hope you get the bid... and, i hope, they allow you to redesign the door panels a little. to me, they look too busy. yes, each single one panel is interesting, but as a whole in all the richness, almost confusing. i am sure you meant this too,,, anyway, it would really be fun to carve, so i wish you good luck for your bid !

Hello Brett and thank you.
    Actually these are the first two samples I've done over a 20+ yr career doing carvings,,, and they weren't requested. Considering the upside of these projects it's a small investment on my part that didn't take much effort at all. There is very little I do without a reason , and I had good reasons to do these.
    There is nothing like overkill.
    For this particular project I have to consider the client. This particular designer has clients that range from exclusive restaurants, major Universities ( Ivy league) corporations and clients that have homes across the country to across the world. Think Architectural Digest type homes. So where is the downside to me doing a small carving? None.
    I had a client last year that gave away $10,000.00 of carvings they just bought to an electrician so they could accommodate my carvings. Not trying to brag, but it's just a different ballgame I think than most carvers experience.
    I do have a portfolio I carry to jobs, but seldom do I get to show it. I'm invited in by word of mouth and usually that's enough in this realm. I also have an online portfolio, but here too it's woefully outdated. One, I don't have the time and two,, why bother? When you're dealing at times with kitchens alone that are pushing a half million,, and you were recommended by an architect or designer,, they don't really care what you've done,, "just design something for us,,," is the reply.
    I don't really advertise, I don't do shows, I don't have galleries represent me, I don't do articles or books, I don't teach either in my studio or classes, I don't give lectures I just carve and have never had a dry spell, even considering this economy.I don't do a carving and try and sell it somewhere, it's all and always been on a commission basis. It's a different ballgame at some point. These clients don't know the meaning of the word , recession. And thankfully so as what I do is something nobody really needs.
    It's where I want to be, and this is what I do and I wouldn't have it any other way.Basically, I'm not in the business of selling carvings, never have, never will, it just doesn't work.

Doris, yes, the panel in this size is way too busy. I looked at the screens and picked the most busy part and decided to carve it only to show what could be done. Hopefully it will work. It's a calculated gamble on my part. They're excited to see what is coming and that I'm part of the equation but we'll see how it pans out. I trust that once I get my foot in the door, and I get to meet the principals involved, and they get to understand what I can do, I'll be accommodated and be able to participate in the design process. At this point I'm only looking for an in , so to speak. And if it's not here,, I'll find another. Nobody needs a carving,, some just want them and there is a major difference in clients and markets. The designer from what I've seen has good taste in design and even if I'm not that involved, I'm sure the design will work. My only goal at this point is to become the "go to " guy.
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 11-16-2010 at 12:35 PM.
    The Woodworking Studio

As a quick followup they received my bid package today. I think it was well worth the effort.
    The Woodworking Studio