Thread: Finish on Black Science Table Tops?

Finish on Black Science Table Tops?

Does anyone here know what kind of finish is on those black science tables they use in science classrooms? They have rock maple legs and some kind of composite tops. I have some we bought at auction I use for work tables and would like to restore the finish which has been worn-cut-sanded-abraded away over the years. The original surface was kind of shiny, but not very.

Thanks for any info or suggestions you might have for refinishing them, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

If it is composite it is likely to be some kind of laminate like Formica or the like. I would expect it was probably laid up that way when it was manufactured.

I would probably just use another top on it as a refinish. That could be a sacrificial top like Masonite or another layer of Formica or similar laminate.

ETA: You can install a laminate surface on another by sanding the existing so it is roughed up and using contact cement. Opinions vary on the wisdom of this but I know it is done often and haven't heard many bad reports if it is done correctly.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

We have some of those in the lab at work.

The finish is epoxy or bakelite, about the only thing you can do is sand it with automotive wet&dry sandpaper 400, 600, 800 and then buff it out like you would a car.

Thanks, Mike! So you think the finish is actually just the slab buffed out? That would be great news! Thanks so much!

Dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I used to just buff mine when I was a science teacher. The tops are a chemically resistant composite block, (at least for the good ones), and shouldn't be coated with anything ideally. I've seen people varnish them, but I personally think they look better just buffed.

Thanks, Jason, that's exactly what I needed - someone with experience!

cheers, dee

Red Coin Mah Jong

Hi Dee -

Don't know the age of your tables, but the surface of many OLD lab tables was soapstone. Pretty much impervious to everything, except abrasion. Usually deep charcoal gray / near black; sometimes with veins of color. It can be sanded and buffed to remove cuts and dull spots. Wipe mineral oil on it periodically to bring it to life. The classic schedule for applying and buffing mineral oil was ... Once a day for a week; Once a week for a month; Once a month for a year; Once a year for life.

Good luck,

- Lonnie

Hi Lonnie,

These tables are probably about 20 years old, not soapstone. But thanks for the schedule, it might come in handy one day for something else!

cheers, dee

Red Coin Mah Jong

Blog Entries

Science tops

They are most probably an epoxy casting. Sand / buff it out and coat with oil / wax to your preference.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Another material that has been used for that purpose is Richlite. It is somewhat like Formica in that it is a laminate of paper and resin. What's different from Formica is that the whole tabletop thickness is Richlite, and it is the same color throughout. Unlike Formica, it can be buffed, or even resanded, to freshen the surface. Woodworking tools machine it quite well.

Fire Slate has been used in chemistry labs for a long, long time. Google fireslate and you can read about it. The company is still in business and has one of the worst website I have seen.
    In an economy dependent on debt-based consumption, inflation is absolutely essential to reduce the real costs of servicing old debts so households can afford to buy more stuff on credit.

The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.
    - Tacitus

Thank you everyone! I will sand and buff, seems like that is the best and simplest solution.

dee

Red Coin Mah Jong