Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with New Tablesaw purchase

Help with New Tablesaw purchase

Im looking at purchasing a new tablesaw. What are you guys using and why? Im looking for one with 52" fence and outfeed table. I have looked at steel city, general, saw stop brands. Not really impressed. I would like to spend no more than $2k.......

I am using a Grizzly G1023RL. It comes in a long fence also. After using a 1970 Unisaw for a few years I wanted a riving knife and better dust collection. I am verry happy. I hear the G0691 is nice also. I am guessing if none of what you looked at has impressed you, you will not find anything in your price range. The only 3 left are the Unisaw, PM2000, and the Jet Deluxe. The Delta and PM are out of your specified range.

For 2k I would defiantly be looking at a cabinet saw. Powermatic, Delta unisaw, Sawstop, General, Jet and Grizzly are probably the more common ones. If you were not impressed with General and Sawstop what models were you looking at? The contracter saws? The General 350 cabinet saw and Sawstop are usually rated pretty highly. General also has General International a lower priced line of tools. A good used older Delta unisaw or Powermatic PM66 can also be a good buy.

Phil
    Last edited by Philip Johnson; 11-16-2010 at 4:51 AM.

Terry, if you're not impressed with Saw Stop and General, I'm not sure you'll find much else that's better in the price range....the SS, General 650, Powermatic 2000, and Delta Unisaw are typically considered top contenders in cabinet saws. The Unisaw is made in the USA, and the General is made in Canada....$2000 is probably on the low side for all of these.

Grizzly offers a good bang for the buck too, but there's not much that's significantly different about them.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    Terry, if you're not impressed with Saw Stop and General, I'm not sure you'll find much else that's better in the price range
    I was thinking the same thing. If you're not impressed with the SS, it time to hang it up and start saving for a European slider.

Blog Entries
    Hi Terry,

If I was buying a new tablesaw I would do a 3 hp cabinet saw with a 52" fence for sure for the good mass, power, dust collection that a cabinet saw offers.

As for which cabinet saw if I was buying new I would get a Powermatic PM-2000 due to the good performance of other Powermatic tools I have and the reviews I read of PM-2000 owners on this forum.

I currently own about an 8 year old Unisaw with 52" Biesmeyer fence that has been great and I expect to keep it for a long time.

Good luck with it.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Starch View Post
    Not really impressed.
    What do you find lacking in these saws? Are there features missing, poor fit and finish? Have you seen anything, regardless of price, that did impress you?

At 2000 it was probably the SS contractor saw which does not impress me either. Time to stretch the budget a bit, who ever spends what they originally set as a budget anyways.

Phil

Buy used!

You'll save a lot of dinero, and be able to sell later, if you want, without loosing your shirt. For example, I bought and sold my unisaw at the same price. With a new machine, you loose about half it's value right away.

Just my opinion.

Blog Entries
    I agree that under $2k if those that you mention do not seem adequate, raise your budget, buy used/restore or change your expectation. It sounds like you are going to be doing a lot of sheetgoods work with that capacity requirement. You may want to consider a slider.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Look at used saws. For the 2 grand you maybe able to find an older PM or Delta with fence etc in mint condition.

What's your location, Terry? Usually at this point I'd enjoy finding a few used saw deals for you on CL, or hoping you're close enough to finally give up my PM66 to a worthy new owner

I concur, for $2000 I'd be looking used at SawStop, PM2000, PM66, Unisaw, Grizzly. All of those can be had in great condition for $1500 or less used. Someone is selling a Griz 0691 with full outfeed table on Phx CL for $450 yesterday.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Sawstop!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Starch View Post
    Im looking at purchasing a new tablesaw. What are you guys using and why? Im looking for one with 52" fence and outfeed table. I have looked at steel city, general, saw stop brands. Not really impressed. I would like to spend no more than $2k.......
    I've had the Grizzly 1023slx with 7' rails for over 6 years. She runs like a champ passes the nickle test to this day and she's been moved across the country twice. The sawstop was not around when I got mine. If you have the money get the sawstop. They are quality made and the safety feature is unique and not found anywhere else. I'm looking to get one next year just because of that and sell the griz. Again not because of deficency, but because of the safety feature. I'm not going to get as long rail for the next one because I don't use it to cut panels down. I use my festool ts55 for that.

I have a Steel City 35905 (3hp/steel top/riving knife), not sure what model you looked at but I am very happy with this saw. In my opinion this Steel City is on par with the often mentioned Grizzly saws and just below the Jet Deluxe Xacta. For the money I spent, it is a good saw but doesn't have a shroud covering the blade inside the cabinet which would help the dust collection. The Jet Xacta does have a shroud, but it is more than 2K as well as the high end Delta, PM, General and Saw Stop (much more $$$). I would definitely make sure the new saw I bought (if you go that direction) has a riving knife at the very least and a 3hp motor-it will cut anything you throw at it. I have not seen any of the Euro saws but I am sure they are of very high quality, but if you are willing to spend more than 2k the Delta, Saw Stop, General and PM 2000 are the best American design you will find. I am not sure, but there may be a sale on Jet/PM saws soon you may want to check out.
    Happy Hunting,
    Kevin

I've used many different saws over the years. SawStop would be my first choice right now. It is, in my opinion, the best of the American style "Unisaw" class of saws made today.
    Besides, the only saw that offers flesh sensing technology. They are way ahead of the next guy.......
    -Paul