Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Mobile Base & have some questions

Buying a Mobile Base & have some questions

The base of my PM60 jointer is 17x22 (plus 3" on the 22 side for the bolt down tabs). I have looked at alot of posts and have researched alot of bases. It seems that most people like the Shop Fox bases, whihc brings my first question On these universal bases, has anyone cut down the metal posts to shorten the demensions. How did it work? my goal is to have the base snug right up against the base of the jointer for a custom look.

I love the delta in bruces thread, but its a little to wide for my jointer and I worry the jointer will slide around.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=mobile

Which leads me to this new one I found from Jet. its almost a prefect fit, and if I shave off a little of the ears on the base of the jointer it will be perfect. but i am confused by the description of it being a 3-point leveling system, even though all pictures i have seen show 2 fixed wheels and 2 castor wheels. I don't want a 3 wheeled base, because I have heard they can be tippy. Am i just reading it wrong, can a 4 wheeled base have a three point leveling system? I am trying to call jettools now but they aren't answering the phone and I want to order soon.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Tim -

There is an HTC three wheel base under the PM 50 in my shop. No instability problems what so ever. The third wheel (pivoting) is on the outfeed end. The other two wheels (stationary) have locks on them, but they rarely get used. And they don't stick out very far so they are not a trip hazard. There is a ¾" piece of plywood in the bottom of the base. The jointer ears are bolted to that.

Just something else to consider.

Regards,
    Ted
    Last edited by Ted Shrader; 12-29-2004 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks Ted for that. I just got off the phone with jet and the mobile base in question is in fact a 3 wheeled unit. So it may be similar to your base. I will try and find a picture of that one.

I also never found any instablity with the HTC three-point bases and they are actually better when you don't have a perfectly flat floor. I actually had more issues with "tipping" and flex with the "universal type" bases and have pretty much banned them from my shop over time. (Only one remains...under the DP and it will also eventually go away) Now, those were all very light duty bases; the ShopFox and the Delta kit (using metal rather than wood) should be much more sturdy. So buy the base that you are most comfortable with. You could also build the WOOD Magazine machinery mover or consider the Vega; the Vega has NO wheels on the floor when you are not actively moving things. I use one for my 800 lb Stubby 750 lathe when I need to move it, although I take it out from under the machine and store it since for that application the front rail interferes with my feet.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    ... You could also build the WOOD Magazine machinery mover
    Jim, I am interested to see what this is all about. A search for "machinery mover" at the WOOD web site turned up nothing. Can you give me a pointer?

I actually had more issues with "tipping" and flex with the "universal type" bases and have pretty much banned them from my shop over time.
    I have the delta universal with the wood sides under my contractor saw and find it not be very stable, and I want my jointer when in use to be solid on the ground, and when I move it I want it to be easier to move than my CS. I found a picture of another jet 3 wheeler and it looked to be very solid and got good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Jim, the specs on this are quite meagre (without paying for the plan). Do you know what kind of wieghts it will support?

Frank, the article/plan (also available in the Best-Ever Workshop Solutions 2003 newstand special) does not specify any weights, but the tool is carried on angle iron that is inside the wooden frame. It's likely able to support a lot of weight, although I'm always more comfortable with a welded base...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tim,

Your best bet is a HTC base, they have (I believe) a custom sized base for your jointer with the tabs. My Bandsaw has tabs as well, and HTC cuts a slot for the front tab to slide through in the base. I have mostly HTC custom sized bases and think they are the best, other good bases include Delta's and Vega's. I not a fan of universal bases, I think there are flimsy, look crappy, and overly priced. I custom base will run around $90, while a univeral might run $40 - $70 depending on sales and mfg. If you don't have a HTC catalog, you might need to call and ask. They will likely need the model number and serial number to date your jointers base for the correct type. My DJ-20 sits on a HTC base, rock solid and easy to move.

John

Some pictures of a base

Tim -

Some pictures for your reference. Please ignore the dust (no collector yet) and the chipped paint on the floor. Hey, it gets used.

Rear, Front and Top views.

Regards,
    Ted
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the help. I ordered the jet 3 wheeler from Amazon last night. Along with the link belt and replacement motor, this is turning into real money, but hopefully it will also be one sweet jointer when complete.

What's HTC stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Johnson2
    What's HTC stand for?
    It's the name of the company that makes mobile bases, fences, and other accessories.

John

P.S. They are in Michigan and make good stuff...

Tim -

It will be. Remember, you ot a good deal on it initially.

Ted