Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Narrowest possible kerfs

Narrowest possible kerfs

I'd like to use my radial arm saw to cut a series of slots across an 8" width of hardwood, shallow (3/32") and the narrower the better. Considering using a 60-tooth aluminum-cutting blade, for its .0750 kerf, but worried that the triple chip grind may not give me a clean cross-cut. Is this a bad idea, and what would be a better one?

You might consider a blade intended to cut fret slots in guitar necks. For instance, here's one that will go on your radial-ram, and cut .023" slots.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sa...Saw_Blade.html

This has come up on a number of threads here in the past. Seems like one thread maybe a year or so ago had a few posts from a manufacturer that said they could custom grind blades similar to the StewMac one Jamie linked to at whatever kerf thickness you needed. Try the advanced or google search options. Sorry I don't have a link to the thread.
    Use the fence Luke

Hey, thanks for the circular fret saw suggestion. I've skulked around the Stew-Mac site quite a bit, but was still unaware that there was such a thing.

.023 kerf would be nice, but seeing the 75 buck price tag, I think I may experiment some first.

I found one of the earlier discussions referred to, a fairly humorous one regarding thin kerfs, at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=800089&

Speaking of custom grinds, I wonder if you couldn't take a body grinder to a non-carbide plywood blade and create your own ultra-narrow blade.
    This too may been discussed before -- I just haven't turned up the topic on the Creek.

The Freud LU79R007 7-1/4" 60T Hi-ATB has a 0.079" kerf and is ~ $40 shipped from Amazon.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Can you put a "backer board" on the top/back of the board, and cut through those? that might help to keep the cut edges on your workpiece a bit cleaner.

Matt

Also just came across the Freud Diablo DO760X. It's their economy line, I guess, but this is definitely a light-duty application. It's also ATB, with a .059 kerf. The 10 degree hook wouldn't be my preference, but at $20 on Amazon, I might just pop for it.

Excellent suggestion, the sacrificial "backer board". Since there'll be multiple cuts within the length, I'm thinking attach it temporarily with double-sided tape, or possibly thin hide glue or other reversible adhesive.

If you mean something like a dado when you say slots, the triple chip will not give you a flat bottom. The raker tooth is usually set a little below the other teeth. If that is not a concern, the quality of cut should be OK if it has enough teeth which I image it does being an aluminum blade.

I sometimes recommend TCG aluminum blades for miter saws cutting hard materials because the TCG will hold up better than anything, usually have a negative rake and enough teeth for a clean cut.

A skill saw blade has a small kerf, a little over 7" in dia.

Sam

How about a Japanese flush cut saw. I had one and it was very very thin and had no set at all. Not sure how much thinner than that you are going to be able to get.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...32&cat=1,42884
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

FWIW, it was the Oshlun SBNF-072560 aluminum-cutting blade that I was first looking at, with 60 teeth, a .075 kerf, and- to judge from the picture - a slight negative hook, which would be particularly desirable for use with a radial saw, especially considering it would be making such a shallow cut.

In the old days I would have considered using a flush-cut saw, but I think it would require a high-precision guide such as Stew-Mac sells for their manual fret saws; and since I have multiple cuts to make, it also looks too much like work.

My current scheme is to take a skill-saw plywood blade, which is about .05 thick with a .06 kerf, and see if I can hollow-grind it down to .04 or so. And then see if it'll still cut!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    You might consider a blade intended to cut fret slots in guitar necks. For instance, here's one that will go on your radial-ram, and cut .023" slots.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sa...Saw_Blade.html
    You can only saw about 1/8" deep with one of those.

The 7-1/4" Freud Diablo blades take a .060" kerf and cut pretty smooth, espcially with blade stabilizers.

The Freud Diablo 7-1/4" is the most economical($14.97) and thinnest(.059 kerf) for the money at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-D0740X-F.../dp/B00008WQ2H

"Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

New life for old (saw) blade

Quote Originally Posted by Flint Miller View Post
    My current scheme is to take a skill-saw plywood blade, which is about .05 thick with a .06 kerf, and see if I can hollow-grind it down to .04 or so. And then see if it'll still cut!
    I did this, more or less. Started with a skil-saw plywood blade so worn out I'd been using it for cutting aluminum siding (i.e. running it backwards.) Nominal kerf (caliper across 3 teeth) was .08 or so, actual kerf (slot in board) .110, due to warped blade. By the time I got it into one plane, the actual kerf was down to about .65; by the time all remaining set was wiped out, about .58. I finally took it down to an actual .044 kerf, decided not to press my luck.

A radial arm saw is about perfect for reducing a blade this way. Align your HF benchtop grinder so side of tooth line touches wheel at 90 ATDC. Slide RAS motor away down arm to allow grinder to start (won't, under load), rotate blade quickly (by hand, mind you) as you re-engage with stone. Automatically hollow-grinds the thing.

Cuts just fine, by the way, at least for a 1/8" slot.

I don't really have anything to add. I'm just curious what you're doing.