Thread: Push In Wire Connectors

Push In Wire Connectors

As part of wiring my shop, I ran across information concerning the push in wire connectors from either Wago or Ideal. This seems like a better method for me to do the pigtails in a box.

I have read comments on other forums and as with all topics there are some who hate them and people who like them. I have used wire nuts in the past and properly twist the wires and then put the nut on. It seems like these push in wire connectors would be much easier.

Has anyone used these and what are your experiences with them?

I use the Wago Wall Nuts and love them.

I also use the Wago 222's and they're great, too.

Push in Wire Connectors

I used the WAGO in my shop and like them.

One word of caution I have been told that in some locations electrical inspectors will not accept them - I checked with our local inspector before using them and he had no problem with them.

Walt

I used the Ideal ones for years as an electrician and loved them, however, if you have to pull the wire out of one throw it away. That was the only time that we ever had problems with them.

5. No problems

I've used the Ideal connectors for solid wiring projects in both the house and shop, and they work wonderfully for me. The only issue I've had, expectedly, is if you are connecting solid wire to stranded wiring (like light fixtures), you're stuck with nuts to do your connection.

Thanks for the input on the use of thes push in connectors.

I bought a few of them to just play with and see how they work. I basically just wired a metal outlet box not connected to anything using them to see what it was like and it worked out fine. I will feel much more comfortable with them than the wire nuts. I know that someone with more experience can do very well with the wire nuts but I struggle with 12 gauge wire.

I was reading the instructions and you can use the stranded wire if it is tinned.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I was reading the instructions and you can use the stranded wire if it is tinned.
    I don't have experience w/ the Ideals, only the Wagos, but...

The Wago will handle stranded with less than or equal to a 29 stranding pattern. No tinning necessary, but tinning is apparently okay.

You can not use flexible cords, which have far more than 29 strands. Even if you tin them. If you do so, you aren't using the product to spec (so it would be a code violation).

You also cannot use many of the pre-made ground pigtails, as they have a stranding pattern > 29.

Things may be different w/ the Ideal units, but I think I looked into it and the specs were the same.

I would sooner ask an electritian local to your area if they are allowed. In my experience if you ask an inspector he will say no if he has a personal issue with them. I have been a general contractor for 21 years and I notice inspectors often push their own agenda and not the actual codes.

I used the ideal connectors and I liked them alot. I tried them because an electritian used them on a job of mine and I liked the neat clean result.