Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanging plane cabinet

Hanging plane cabinet

Going to be building a plane cabinet and am concerned about attaching it to the wall.
    My wall is 3/4 plywood screwed to 2x4....which are "TapConned" into the cellar cement walls.
    Since plane cabinets are heavy when full, I am wondering if a french cleat secured through the plywood into the 2x4 will support it.
    Does a french cleat work well since the weight is spread across it?
    Thanks
    Larry

I would think that a "french cleat", if installed correctly, would be more than adequate. By the way, you could double cleat the cabinet(top and bottom)for extra holding power, if you thought you needed it.

+1 on the french cleat. if you're concerned about extra holding power, make sure the cleat attached to the wall is secured directly to at least 2 studs.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Any danger of moisture from the wall rusting your planes over time? I had a basement workshop in the 60's with moisture trouble.

A french cleats will work fine. If it is a huge cabinet, you can use more than one I suppose.

This one of mine hangs from a french cleat.

Thankfully moisture is not a probem

hanging plane cabinet

Do french cleats work so well because the weight is not concentrated in one area such as a screw?
    Thanks
    Larry

Larry, ultimately the force is transfered through the screws used to attach the cleat to the wall. So it is again concentrated on however many screws you use to attach the cleat to the wall, what the cleat does to some extent is divide the load amongst all screws fairly equally.

Another virtue, and let me see if I can explain this, is that the cleat uses the screw more on its axis, rather than shearing it. The cleat wedges itself thus trying to some extent to pull the screw out of the wall, not just loading it vertically (as in a wire from a picture).

Imagine you screw a 2" screw into wood only 1" in. It is easier for you to push the screw on its side to dislodge it, than it is for you to take it straight out (on its axis). The french cleat pulls the screw on its axis to some extent.

peace

/p

I sure wish I had found this forum sooner
    You guys are awesome....there is a wealth of knowledge here !
    Thanks so much

Blog Entries
    Larry,

Welcome to the Creek and glad you found us.

There is a video of the Studley tool box that is held on two cleats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9QaFTI2F9c

They say it takes 3 strong men to lift that box. I guess most of the weight is on the left side since it swings open while held up by cleats.

There is more information on the tool box and some pictures to down load here:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/Plans....aspx?id=27038

Here is my shelves being held up by cleats.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=152035

These shelves are tall enough that the base also rests on the concrete ledge from the foundation around my shop. I gave them a hanging weight test and they could hold me without giving me worries.

jtk

Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery. Today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.
    - Oogway (Kung Fu Panda)
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The weight doesn't actually hang on the screws. The screws drive the cleat against the wall and the "friction" keeps the cleat from shearing off. If you pulled outward on the cleat, the screws might fracture or pull out of the stud, but the outward force is actually pretty small.

Add some contact adhesive to the cleat if it still seems like not enough holding power.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Sansom View Post
    The weight doesn't actually hang on the screws. The screws drive the cleat against the wall and the "friction" keeps the cleat from shearing off. If you pulled outward on the cleat, the screws might fracture or pull out of the stud, but the outward force is actually pretty small.
    Russell, I think he got an answer. So no need to continue this. But I am confused by your statements. If the outward force is pretty small, then friction is also pretty small. So yes the weight is mostly hanging on the screws. By shearing I meant shear stress, not shearing a material (e.g. the cleat). And trust me a screw will fracture on shear stress well before it does on normal stress (on its axis).

/p

+1 french cleat

I used a single 5/4 maple cleat with a 30 deg bevel to hang my plane till and it works like a champ. I wouldn't venture to guess how much it weighs fully loaded- a lot.

I would be most concerned about how the cleat is attached to both the case and to the wall. The back of the tillis made from 3/4 ply and I added a maple reinforcement to the inside of the back so the screws had something hard to bite into (i don't trust plywood). I would definitely aim to screw the mating cleat to at least two studs in the wall. Also I would recommend some high quality fasteners (i used #10 highpoint screws). Like Pedro said screws are strongest in compressive force not shearing, high torque screws+strong fastening material= strong connection. add some adhesive in the mix and you're rock solid.

ps. one of the most useful tools in my shop, my electric lifter. Studley's chest may take 2-3 guys to lift. Mine takes only one finger
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Niels Cosman; 11-19-2010 at 1:36 AM.

Sean, I really like this cabinet. Can we get a better look inside? and what are those (well shop-made appearing) tools on top? Threaders? Rounders? Beaders? I must know.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop