View Poll Results: Select your miter saw features- I own:

Voters
218. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard miter saw aka chop saw.

19 8.72%
  • Compound miter saw with left tilt only.

43 19.72%
  • Compound miter saw with right tilt only.

11 5.05%
  • Dual compound miter saw.

40 18.35%
  • Dual compound miter slider.

93 42.66%
  • I prefer my miter saw over my table saw where possible.

37 16.97%
  • I own more than one type of miter saw.

28 12.84%
  • I don't own a miter saw (or do but do not use it).

14 6.42%
  • Other - I'll elaborate below.

2 0.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miter Saw Poll . . .

Miter Saw Poll . . .

I'm interested to know what percentage of the various miter saws are out in the field. Also please elaborate briefly describing the brand, model (if you know it offhand) and how old the saw is. Guesstimate if you have to.

I'm not asking for reviews just the basic specifications of your saw and whether or not you like it. But of course elaborate to any extent you desire. Many of us have several miter saws but I'm interested in the specs of your primary (the one use/like most) saw.

Just so we're all on the same page:

• A miter saw (aka "chop saw") has the ability to make miter and bevel cuts but only by lying the workpiece flat or flipping it up on edge - it has no bevel adjustment inherent in the saw.
    • Bevel is the ability of the power head/blade to tilt in one or both directions.
    • Miter relates the angle the blade cuts on the horizontal plane relative to the fence.

I realize these definitions can be nit-picked but I'm just trying to keep us all on the same page. I'm developing a new product and this information will aid me in this development. I will be releasing the product early next year and as a thank you I will donate another jig kit to the creek for a FreeStuff give-away.

Thanks for your participation, Kevin.
    Can't complain about a thing!

angle cross cuts - Kapex

production 90 degree cross cuts - 12" delta RAS

12" - 36" cross cuts - custom MFT table with festool track saw

I used to have a 10 inch slider, but it was poor quality and sold it recently. I replaced it with a Hitachi 12 inch slider, which was hideously noisy and frankly scary to use. I returned it the following day. I don't currently own a miter saw, and my RAS is doing just fine in the meantime.

That's not going to last though, because I recently got a lathe, and I can see me making segmented bowls, which would require me to cut a myriad of different angles, and each time there's a new angle, there's either a new cut in the RAS's table, or a horrid sub-base jig thing to be made/used.

I'm quite interested in the new Bosch, when I can get a chance to pay with one. It doesn't look like it has an induction motor though, which I would really like. I am not sure such a beast actually exists.

I have a 10" craftsman dual compound miter saw. It is very inaccurate. I only use it for rough cutting wood to size for projects. My neighbor is using it for putting up paint grade baseboards. I don't miss it. The jigsaw is working just fine for me in the mean time.

10" Craftsman dual compound saw. Seems to be accurate enough for me for now. Noticed a huge difference when I put a decent blade on. Looking to get a 12' slider soon.

Kapex, dont regret it one bit

I have a 10" Delta CMS - I forget the model - and a Bosch 12" axial glide on order.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I have a 15 year old Delta cast iron compound mitre saw that I purchased to install trim at my Mom's house.

After using it at Mom's house it sat around my shop for years working hard as a dust collector.

It gets loaned out to friends and co-workers for months at a time as I rarely use it, except to cut wood for outdoor projects such as repairing a fence etc.

I always used the table saw for all my cutting, now I have a sliding table saw so I don't see any reason to buy another mitre saw unless I wind up with a huge trim job in my house. (Not likely)

If I was going to buy a new machine, it would be the Kapex, I tried it out at a show and was very impressed, and it has great dust collection, something that's very important to me.

Regards, Rod.

Makita 10" non slider. Its about 4 years old and incredibly accurate. I haved moved it around, made compound cuts and it always stays perfectly true, with no need to recalibrate. It does lack capacity however so my next purchase will be the Makita 12 non slider. I dont have the room for the slider but that extra 3 inches of cutting capacity can be critical in the work I do.

Makita LS1013 slider.

I'm on my second fence (had a crash and bent the original). It's a little tired but still works very well. I like the large table surface compared to the Hitachis and even the Kapex.

If I was going to replace it, I would either get the Kapex for better dust collection, or a 12" long slider with more crosscutting capacity since it doesn't leave my shop very often.

That new Bosch miter saw looks interesting. If I can find one to look at I'll consider it.

When I bought a newTS, I also bought a JessEm Miter Excel to go with it. I had hoped that having an easy to use accurate miter gage would allow me more options for cutting miters. Wrong. The Miter Excel is a beautiful piece of equipment but in my opinion has a basic flaw that renders it a bit less than accurate.

So, bottom line - back to the miter saw. Currently I own and use frequently a Dewalt DW733 compound miter saw. It's mounted in a recess in a table. It's great for cutting long lengths to size and with a Forrest Chopmaster leaves glass smooth cuts on the mitered surface. Honestly, I can't complain. It's been steady and reliable for many years.

Hitachi 12RSH. Got it for a really good price at Amazon. Pretty solid piece of gear so far. The only thing I don't like about it is that there is nothing in the manual about aligning the saw. I think they expect it to be perfect out of the box (it was) and taken to a service center when it gets out of whack (I did and it was free and painless)

Bosch 12" slider ... 5 years old

I have the contstruction site special, DeWalt DW715, left-tilt compound on a mobile stand. It has been reasonably accurate over its lifetime and pretty much bullet proof. I haven't tried any REALLY wide miters but it has produced good furniture quality miters in smaller trim/materials.

I used to have a C-man RAS for crosscutting up to 12" which is being replaced with a DeWalt GK "medium" arm RAS for crosscutting up to 24". Anything wider ... well, I don't have a good system for that.

Ryan

Milwaukee 6955-20 (12" Dual-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw).

Purchased during the infamous HD blowout sale during the summer of 2010.

Redheads are like other women – only more so