Thread: Looking for fence ideas for SS ICS

Looking for fence ideas for SS ICS

I really like euro style fences and would like to install something like a Uni-fence on my Sawstop. The problem is that the exposing the blade to an aluminum extrusion could be a big hassle and get really expensive. I am looking for ideas for a stand-in for aluminum. It has got to be durable, reliably straight, and able to have a t-track or two.

Have you ever run a fence into a spinning blade?

You could either face a unisaw fence with baltic birch or similar;
    or
    Attach a sacrificial fence to your T-square style fence, make the trail edge of the thing just reach front of the saw blade (12" or so), and either re-calibrate your tape or use a 1" wide piece and subtract 1" when using your tape. The main point being your fence doesn't extend past the blade to cause potential binding, which I assume is the primary advantage of the euro style (at least that I ever noticed).
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Have you ever run a fence into a spinning blade?
    Why would you ever be moving your fence until the blade has stopped? I've seen folks with chew marks on their fences but I assume something really bizarre must have happened . I don't get out of the car until it is stopped either

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    The problem is that the exposing the blade to an aluminum extrusion could be a big hassle and get really expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Why would you ever be moving your fence until the blade has stopped?
    That was my point. Why worry about an aluminum extrusion being just because it's a SawStop? I've never run my fence into a spinning blade and don't ever plan on. I wouldn't hesitate to use metal.

I have had an ICS for several years. Trust me, you'll be extra careful!

If you are still set on it, there are some aftermarket fences for the unifence that look really nice and they will fit your needs.

I have been woodworking for about 55 years and have never had this problem. None of my saw fences have ever hit the running blade, because I never move my fence with the saw running. I have gone through 4 table saws and now have a Unisaw with a Unifence. None of my saw fences have ever contacted the saw blade while it was turning, not even when dadoing with the blade partly buried in a board that was clamped to the fence. Anyone who has ever done this must have been trying to move the fence while the saw was running, and this is a major safety hazard. Don't do it!

If you are still worried about the metal Unifence extrusion hitting the blade, Peachtree Woodworking in Atlanta www.ptree.com sells a replacement fence extrusion for the Unifence system that has a square profile, T slots, and the blade side of the fence contains a thick UHMW insert that's replaceable. This fence extrusion is also available in 3 lengths. I frequently switch back and forth between the original Unifence extrusion and the Peachtree fences when one will do a better job for the particular cut that I'm making than the other. For instance, adding featherboards to the original fence extrusion is very difficult, but it's very easy with the Peachtree, even if you just attach the featherboards with clamps and not use the T slots.

Charley