Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Square" work bench?

"Square" work bench?

I'm thinking about building a workbench with a top that would be a perfect square -- probably about 4'x4' or 5'x5. I have a one-car garage, so this would be my workbench, assembly table, and outfeed table all in one.

Anybody make something like this? Please post pics so I can get some ideas.

Thanks!

Jason

Many would argue that a relatively narrow bench (say 24in) with enough length that you can work at one end while something else occupies the other may be more practical Jason - at least for hand tool use anyway.

There's maybe an argument for something 'squarer' for assembly.

Only a view as I'm about to start building a new bench soon and haven't had a better than a wall mounted general purpose bench so far.

Chris Schwarz's book 'Workbenches' from a few years ago reviews each function you might use a bench for, and rates differing design elements and accessories against these. You don't necessarily have to buy his conclusions, but he sets out quite a decent framework to review your needs against.....

ian

3. I'd considered a square table myself quite a few times, though currently the shop area is not ideal or set up for such. Basically what I'd want is something set up behind the table saw at all times that I could use for just about anything I need a table space for.

It goes to wonder if one could not make a removable insert for said table so that you could drop a miter saw in from time to time as needed.

*shrugs*

I think a square bench is a great idea. If you have the space for it, it makes a good assembly table with some extra working space. I'd say go for it. (That assumes you have access all around the table. Reaching over a 4-5 foot deep table doesn't work well.)

The short answer is to build whatever size and shape will give you the maximum bench space and fit in your shop. There's no such thing as too much bench space.

Blog Entries
    I have something similar to what you are contemplating. It's not square but almost. I think it's about 5.5 ft x 4.5 ft or close to that. I bought it at an auction when a high school closed their woodworking classes. My shop is stall 3 of a three car garage. One big problem is a 3.5 inch step up on the sidewall that comes out about 3 ft. That makes it tight between the ledge and the table. OK for working and walking but not OK for moving my Dust Deputy through there. (Or anything else on wheels)
    100_0107.JPG
    I need to raise the table to the level of my saw - right now the material just falls on to it. I think the additonal height maight help my back as well. I added a shelf underneath and store routers and other power tools there.
    100_0108.JPG
    Pros:
    Large, flat, solid work surface.
    Able to use it for glue ups
    Heavy so it doesn't move around or bounce

Cons:
    Large
    Tends to collect a lot of stuff on it
    Storage underneath is convenient but gets lots of dust

Sorry about the pic and the mess. It's the best I've got. Mine is 4 x 4. The top is two halves of a 3/4" sheet of birch ply. Then edge banded with 3/4" x 1 1/2" maple strips. I didn't care about looks (and didn't have enough 4+ foot clamps anyway) so I just screwed and glued the maple strips. The legs are 4 x 4 posts (not PT) from the BORG. There is a lower shelf. There are 4 drawers. This thing weighs enough alone, but drawer loaded, it weighs a ton. If you want more pics on how it is designed, I can take more maybe tomorrow. Let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I drink, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    Mike, your table looks pretty neat compared to mine. I moved a lot of stuff off to take the pic tonight.

Jason, I've also got a vise like the one in the pic that I would be willing to sell if you're interested.

My set up is pretty much what you describe. My bench is similar and about the same size as Jim's (about 4.5' x 5.5). It has 3 vices and served as an workbench, assembly table and outfeed. I had it a little lower than the top of the table saw and worked well for my purposes.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Sorry about the pic and the mess. It's the best I've got.
    Mess? What mess? I can easily see your table..... I know I have 3 tape rules. I can find only 1...

I'm in the 24" wide, and the longer the better group. I can't imagine reaching across a 4 foot table. You'll have to have to walk around. 3 feet maybe can do.....
    I actually have no room in my garage for a real table, so my table saw doubles as my workbench. It's pretty tough to reach across.

Just my $0.02.

Dittos for me with regards to having it just a little lower than the TS. That way it serves as an outfeed table.

HOWEVER, it was just a little lower than my OLD Table Saw...When I got my UNI, it was higher...as were my wall benchs... So, I had to raise my TS 1 3/4"...
    I drink, therefore I am.

My table is 4ft wide and 6 ft long. It serves as my outfeed table also.

I have plans to build a new table this winter. This way I can run power to the table for my TS, planer and put outlets around the edges.

I am going to make it a little shorter. 6ft is a bit long. I also plan to put storage underneath, etc.

How about 2 24" x 48" benches. That way you can configure your work surface to what ever your current needs are. They can be square, longer, L shaped or whatever.

One of the most important factors to make a workbench work well is the things that are not the workbench.

For example, since you will be using this as an outfeed table, and it is not particularly big (I prefer 4x8 workbenches), you may benefit from a nearby shelf or counter to stage tool, screws, parts etc.

Maybe there is room for an upper cabinet nearby to keep your most go-to tools and hardware as well.

As far as being too deep, that's not a problem. Most people can reach things in the back of a 4' table, and a table would have to be 6' deep before I would start to question it's depth.

While it's true I have two 24" countertops in my shop, these are too tiny for anything but setting tools.

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    HOWEVER, it was just a little lower than my OLD Table Saw...When I got my UNI, it was higher...as were my wall benchs... So, I had to raise my TS 1 3/4"...
    Yeah, I had that problem when I got my uni too...

I have one that is 8'3" x 4'3" with a welded 2x2, 1/4" wall substructure, on locking wheels, drawers on both sides, and 1/4" below my shaper/tablesaws. It weighs over 1000 #'s yet rolls easy. I built it for door assembly. Even with the heavy steel frame it is still necessary to slide a shim under one wheel while watching winding sticks when doing a door as my floor is not perfect.

Best tool in my shop. I have loaded it with well over a ton and can still roll it from one machine to another.

I'm not so sure of the 5x5 size however as it is somewhat difficult to work at the center of mine at 4'3" wide. Not so bad for most things but for things that require a vertical hand hold such as screws I sometimes have to get a stool to get in the right position.

I have the parts to make another one slightly smaller, but time is scarce just now...