Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIDGID 6 1/8 In. Stationary Jointer/Planer Floor Model

RIDGID 6 1/8 In. Stationary Jointer/Planer Floor Model

There is a floor model RIDGID 6 1/8 In. Stationary Jointer/Planer Model # JP0610 at a local home depot for $288. I am ussually hesitant to buy floor model items, but this looks in good shape. The manager has told me they will sell it to me for 216 but I was going to try and talk down the floor model to 150 since it has been sitting there for about 3 months on sale and they haven't moved it. Anything I should look for on the floor model, missing pieces etc or anything I should check to make sure its in good shape? Thanks

FWIW, around here new in-the-box ones were recently marked down to 288. 216 is a great price assuming nothing is cracked or broken. Don't be shy about checking out the blades for nicks etc, and throwing a straightedge on the beds. Also should not be a problem to ask them to plug it in and make sure it works w/out major vibration.

Missing parts might be a problem, but these planers are pretty common I'd like to think you could get any replacement parts from Ridgid.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Check for knobs and handles missing. It comes with 2x push pads and a plastic angle gauge. Neither are difficult to replace, nor of stellar quality.

I'd say do it. I can't see them being sold for $199 again, so this is probably the cheapest you'll get a 6" floor standing jointer.

I would do it. I was lucky to but one when it was $199 and its great. I put it on a mobile cart and have used it a lot.
    War Eagle!

I don't think it's a planer.

There aren't a whole lot of parts to it, other than the aforementioned pads and gage. It's a pretty good jointer. Make sure it runs, and it's not missing the major parts. There should be a dust vacuum port. It's also easy to take off. That would be pricey to replace, I would think.

I've got one and it's been a good one. It was in my shop when it burned but it still works ok. With some good cleanning it should be as good as new other than the color. It doesn't look as nice as it used to. Ridgid makes good products. For that price it would be worth bringing home.

Was waiting for the Jointer to go on sale at the Home Depot about 60 miles away. Every time I went their I'd check the prices. Finally went there and they were on sale, but the floor model was all they had. After looking it over there was a broken adjustment bolt and the table was a little rusty. Jerk manager basically lied to me about several things. It took forever and many calls to get the broken bolt in. It's a great jointer at the price. I just had the misfortune to deal with a incompetent Home Depot manager... If it's in good shape, I'd do it!

What city is this in? Heck I'll come buy it if you don't! I have 2 home depots by me and both of them stopped carrying the bigger power tools for some reason.

The floor model I bought ($299.00) was missing one of the leg leveling bolts and the safety on/off insert.
    The beds were/are in horrible shape also. No rust, but severe crud build up and some minor - cosmetic- scratches and one large deep ding.

I made a lower offer, based on the condition, and the mgr said no. Take it or leave it.

I didn't care about the bolt since It was beign mounted on a roll around base. The on/off insert was a different matter.

HD told me they would get it, then called me and told me I had to call Ridgid. I called Ridgid and they told me I had to go through Home Depot.
    I went down to Home Depot, and they again told me they would handle it.
    Next day, HD calls and gives me the name of someone in Ridgid customer service. I called Ridgid and asked for her and was told there was no pne there by that name.
    I explained that all I needed was a simple $.99 part, but I wasn't about to pay $14.00 shipping for it.
    The person I talked to insisted it was up to Home Depot to get it.
    Finally, after nearly a half hour of begging and pleading, I was able to talk her into sending the part to me @ no charge & with no shipping charge.

I'd suggest you look the jointer over real careful - if you want you can go to the Ridgid web site and download the manual so you have a list of all the parts it comes with.
    If you find anything missing, make HD get the parts before you take the jointer out of the store.
    At the very least, get the store manager involved.

I got so frustrated I was -><- (this close) to taking mine back. The only thing that held me back was the hassle of getting the thing into my van by myself.

BTW - it's a very nice machine for the price. I ran a couple of test pieces through mine - grunge and all - to make sure it worked. It works like a dream.

the purchase of my ridgid jointer is what really sold me on ridgid. i got it NIB in 2003 (yes, its a gray lifetime warranty unit) at HD for $150 and was marked "missing parts". inspection at home revealed it was missing, are you ready, the yellow safety insert for the power switch. i called ridgid CS explaining that i had just purchased a new jointer and that it was missing these inserts. they sent out a 2 pack free of charge. whenever a ridgid tool purchase has been missing something, they've always made it right at no charge. for me, i have gone, and will continue to go, with ridgid until they give me a reason not to.

William Burgess...for $216, step away from the computer adn go get the jointer, now! it's a very good price and a really good tool. wood magazine rated it a best buy in their last jointer test. whatever it's missing, don't waste time trying to get HD to acquire missing parts for you. contact ridgid CS yourself. as i said, they've never failed me. and as the tool's original owner, you can register it for the lifetime service agreement.

I'd grab it also. Had one for several years and it performed flawlessly.

As others have already said, GO GET IT! I was lucky to get mine at a clearance sale for $214.00. I just wish the 13 inch planer would go on sale. I have two HD's near me and I never see the planer on sale. Just the jointer.

Regards,

Randy

I have that jointer and it has always been accurate and reliable for me. And, if the angle gauge and the push blocks are missing, no great loss. I have not used the angle gauge ever. The push blocks are so-so.

Well I went there to buy one at 216 and either I got a different manager or they changed their mind, but they wouldn't price it any lower than 288. I shouldv'e grabbed it when they asked me the first time. Owell, just gotta keep checking. The floor model was missing the push pads and the angle guide. I will check back in a month see if they have sold anymore. Thanks everyone for the advice.

The price issue is a bummer.

Re: push pads and angle gauge...

I don't use the latter, and could easily make adequate substitutes for the former, using old mouse pads