Thread: Beginner's Question

Beginner's Question

I am going to get started turning pens and have a full size Jet lathe. The standard tool rest is too long, I think to get close enough to the pen blank.
    Does someone make short ones, can you make your own, or what do you pen turners do?
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Robust makes a 4" or you can get 3" rests at some retailers.

mike

Tom,

Yes....some make their own.........some buy aftermarket......

I bought a modular that allows me to change toolrests and just buy the ones I need.

Here are a few choices:

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/sorby_modular.htm

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...ool_Rests?Args=

http://www.woodcraft.com/Search/Sear...20tool%20rests

I am sure Penn State Industries has some too.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

On the International Assoc. of Penturners forum there are a couple guys that make tool rests at very reasonable prices. You can get what ever length bar to fit the posts that you want.

I'll second Paul's suggestion... I got several nice tool rests through the classifieds on IAP.

Thanks guys, you're always a help.
    Tom
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

I just got this one with 3", 6" and 8" top bar...It is fantastic!!!

http://penturnersproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21&products _id=160&zenid=5f2b345c63e3cdaceed1cf82e5d6e76a
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I had a 3", 5", 7" and 9" one made by my local welder for $40. He tempered the tool rest and it wears nicely.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have been making my own lately. I have two of the Robust rests, and they are really nice, but they are 1) pricey, and 2) still too big for pen turning for my liking.

I simply by some scrap angle iron, and round stock (both 5/8" and 1"), and some drill rod through Enco. I have not used the rests very much yet though in order to tell whether they will last very long.

I use a 4.5" angle grinder to both cut the steel and cut a little 'v' groove for the drill rod to sit in. I then bought some 2-part epoxy designed for metal (Lowes or HD) and glue the drill rod to the top of the angle iron. As for the post, I clamp it into a vice and use my drill press to drill a hole (cobalt bit with cutting fluid - also Enco), and then tap it. I have used grade 8 bolts (1/4' and 3/8") to hold the angle irons to the post.

I should take some pics one of these days, huh?

It requires a little bit of time, but you can make several different sizes for relatively little money.

As for the drill rod, I have used both O-1 and W-1 and I think the W-1 is a slightly better option. Someone else can chime in if they think otherwise (its my limited experience so far). Oh, I started using 1/4" drill rod, but just made a couple with 5/16". So far, I like the 5/16" better but I haven't tried it on small rests yet.

Sorry for the rambling. Good luck.
    Feel free to PM if you have questions.