Thread: Recommendations for shoulder plane

Recommendations for shoulder plane

Hi. I'm hoping to get some advice on shoulder planes. I'm considering the LV models, but also wonder about the vintage planes. I see a couple by Stanley and Record come along on eBay quite often, but wonder what models are best.
    Thank you.

If the choice is LV or vintage, I'd just buy the LV. If you get a vintage one and find out it's not square, then what would you do?

I've bought a lot of old stanleys and bedrocks on eBay. I've only had a few problems but they were always corrected. Ask this question in the neandertal forum. One of them will sell you some.

For what the used shoulder planes cost on ebay, I think you might very well be better off with a new LV. The question is medium or large.

Indeed, Ken, that is my very question. Currently I use paring chisels for cleaning up shoulders, and a rabbet block plane for tenon cheeks. But I do see occasion for a shoulder plane as well, especially for longer shoulders. I tend toward the medium plane, because of it's facileness, but it's not wide enough for everything.

Well, a router plane can clean up the sides of any size tenons. A medium shoulder plane [I have a LV med] will do shoulders very well. Also a LA rabbet block plane can do a fine job on wide tenons.

Excellent points. I had not thought of a router plane for tenon cheeks, but it makes perfect sense. I have the LN rabbet block plane and the LV router plane, so I will go for a medium shoulder plane to complete the set. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Acharya Kumarswami View Post
    Excellent points. I had not thought of a router plane for tenon cheeks, but it makes perfect sense. I have the LN rabbet block plane and the LV router plane, so I will go for a medium shoulder plane to complete the set. Thank you.
    I have the medium LV shoulder plane. I sometimes wish I had the larger one, but noting that you have a rabbet block plane, I think you'll be happy with the medium.

I have Veritas large and LN small and medium. I used to have the Veritas medium, but I sold it when I bought the LN medium. I just find the LN more comfortable. I like the Veritas large because of the front knob that can be screwed into either side. It makes it much more comfortable to use on its side or in awkward spaces like inside a cabinet. I also have a stanley 90 that occasionally is just the right tool for a particular job.

I have the LV medium one and really like it. I have never tried the LN one but I suspect you won't be disappointed with that one either. I have a decent amount of LN but I use the shoulder plane so infrequently that I could not justify the additional cost in this case.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Andrae Covington View Post
    I have the medium LV shoulder plane. I sometimes wish I had the larger one, but noting that you have a rabbet block plane, I think you'll be happy with the medium.
    I would concur with this. I often wish I bought the large shoulder plane.

That being said, I really like my medium.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    If you are satisfied with the choice between LN or LV, then you only need to decide on the size.

That would depend on your work. Remember, a large plane may be a bit unwieldy on a small shoulder. Timber framing with a small plane can be a pain.

I have test driven a shoulder plane from Bridge City and it was a dream compared to my Stanley #93.

My #93 took a bit of fettling, but it does its job. I am sure the LN or LV are much better tools even with my #93 tuned to do its best.

Here is the link to my fettling on the Stanley shoulder planes:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119301

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-22-2010 at 3:08 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Just to complicate things, I love my LN No.041. That's the small shoulder. I use the router plane for cheeks and the shoulder plane for the shoulders.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop